Help me identify a good aquarium for my space and needs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo, I’m going to claim newbie status. I did used to own two180 gallon tanks for many years around college. One reef tank, one very interesting freshwater tank. I worked in a marine supply store and used to send many of these creatures to certain death at the hands of many newbies. It’s been 20 + years since I’ve thought about really doing this again, so pretty much starting anew. I’m generally aware of what the hobby entails, but things have changed in your industry and I value your expertise.

I have a space that will accommodate a tank up to 36” L. This is the limiting dimension. I want as much volume as reasonably possible for this space. It may mean a custom tank, but there is something said for convenience and this isn’t my only hobby. Ideally I believe I could accommodate 30” W x 36” L x 30” H. I guess this means I’m looking at a cube-ish shape for better or worse.

My old tanks had internal overflows. I’ve been researching overflows. This appears to be an area that has evolved. I guess this is a related but separate discussion.

Looking at Eshopps sumps, which appears a similar design I use to have more or less…

Anyway, in an effort to streamline the conversation the most important thing to me initially is the aquarium size and dimensions. Let’s assume glass aquarium for a reef tank. Mostly corals (SPS) and invertebrates, high flows, etc.

I’m mostly striking out on internet searches for this size and shape. Unfortunately this is what works best for my space. I’m unfamiliar with the brands.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thereefgallery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heart is set on those dimensions you are going to have to get something custom built. You have places such as Glasscages, Custom Aquariums, Miracle Aquariums etc. My personal thoughts are that 30" Tall is too tall to bad able to get your arm inside of it especially with as much spatial depth as you are talking. I'm 6ft tall and my armpit to the tip of my finger is only 26". I would not go over 24" tall, just my opinion.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been digging around and thinking about it. I really prefer something bigger anyway. I just need to find a different spot. I live in a beach house with an absurd amount of doors and windows. Don’t get me wrong I like that, but the layout kinda sucks for aquariums. There is a set of redundant doors that go out the side of the house from the living rm. I’m looking forward to telling the wife I’m going to put a “little aquarium” in front of it. It actually won’t look bad aesthetically and I can go pretty big with normal dimensions. If I’m going to do this again, this is probably my best bet. Maybe do a 150 or 180 gallon again. I need to research some brand threads on this site. Well thanks for your time and response. I’ve been thinking about doing this again for a few years, but it’s a bit of a commitment.

Russell

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been digging around and thinking about it. I really prefer something bigger anyway. I just need to find a different spot. I live in a beach house with an absurd amount of doors and windows. Don’t get me wrong I like that, but the layout kinda sucks for aquariums. There is a set of redundant doors that go out the side of the house from the living rm. I’m looking forward to telling the wife I’m going to put a “little aquarium” in front of it. It actually won’t look bad aesthetically and I can go pretty big with normal dimensions. If I’m going to do this again, this is probably my best bet. Maybe do a 150 or 180 gallon again. I need to research some brand threads on this site. Well thanks for your time and response. I’ve been thinking about doing this again for a few years, but it’s a bit of a commitment.

Russell
I would go for the longer space! I have a 125 used Aqueon that was 4 or 5 years old when I got it used from the owner. Really nice tank, internal overflows, good cabnint where I got the sump for filtration. I love it. Its a six footer

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 180 and I thought that was a great size. Ive also had 20, 40 and now a 300 gallon tank. I personally wouldn't go more than 24 inches high since maintenance can be a pain. I also wouldn't do less than 24 inches deep, since that makes aquascaping more difficult.

I always thought those shallow lagoon style tanks were really cool. Like a 72long x 24 deep x 20 high would be a cool tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yo, I’m going to claim newbie status. I did used to own two180 gallon tanks for many years around college. One reef tank, one very interesting freshwater tank. I worked in a marine supply store and used to send many of these creatures to certain death at the hands of many newbies. It’s been 20 + years since I’ve thought about really doing this again, so pretty much starting anew. I’m generally aware of what the hobby entails, but things have changed in your industry and I value your expertise.

I have a space that will accommodate a tank up to 36” L. This is the limiting dimension. I want as much volume as reasonably possible for this space. It may mean a custom tank, but there is something said for convenience and this isn’t my only hobby. Ideally I believe I could accommodate 30” W x 36” L x 30” H. I guess this means I’m looking at a cube-ish shape for better or worse.

My old tanks had internal overflows. I’ve been researching overflows. This appears to be an area that has evolved. I guess this is a related but separate discussion.

Looking at Eshopps sumps, which appears a similar design I use to have more or less…

Anyway, in an effort to streamline the conversation the most important thing to me initially is the aquarium size and dimensions. Let’s assume glass aquarium for a reef tank. Mostly corals (SPS) and invertebrates, high flows, etc.

I’m mostly striking out on internet searches for this size and shape. Unfortunately this is what works best for my space. I’m unfamiliar with the brands.

Thoughts and suggestions?
For this space, an all in one aquarium (AIO) or cube tank which comes in many volume sizes

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I’ve basically settled on putting this thing in front of the side doors I’ve a lot more flexibility with size and been looking at tank brands. The waterbox infinia 190.5 seems like a ballpark tank I could be interested in. I am a little taken back by the base price. Back in the day in college working at the aquarium store on the side I got discounts and did things myself, but it makes me wonder how the **** I was able to afford 2 highly functioning 6 ft tanks and all that goes with it.

I’m lucky to have a very well paying job and can afford this without too much issue other than the wife getting a little hot temporarily when she sees the bill. I know this is just the start of things financialply. However, isnt there a better reef ready deal out there? The cabinet does need to look good and I cant build it myself.

Anyone, know of any comparables to this waterbox tank that may be worth a look? I’m willing to piece some of the the parts together, but it would be nice to have the overflows and maybe some of the plumbing in place.

Russell

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I’ve basically settled on putting this thing in front of the side doors I’ve a lot more flexibility with size and been looking at tank brands. The waterbox infinia 190.5 seems like a ballpark tank I could be interested in. I am a little taken back by the base price. Back in the day in college working at the aquarium store on the side I got discounts and did things myself, but it makes me wonder how the **** I was able to afford 2 highly functioning 6 ft tanks and all that goes with it.

I’m lucky to have a very well paying job and can afford this without too much issue other than the wife getting a little hot temporarily when she sees the bill. I know this is just the start of things financialply. However, isnt there a better reef ready deal out there? The cabinet does need to look good and I cant build it myself.

Anyone, know of any comparables to this waterbox tank that may be worth a look? I’m willing to piece some of the the parts together, but it would be nice to have the overflows and maybe some of the plumbing in place.

Russell
Check out the Cade Reef 1500 S2. Very high quality and lots of +

Cade Reef 1500 S2

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man, I’ll check it out today. Doing my due diligence before coughing up the cash. I haven’t looked at this stuff in years.
I posted my build so you can see some of the details. Algae Barn “special” includes all the rock I used plus I have 50lbs+ left over, all the sand, all the media you see + that much again left over and everything for cycling although since you are in FL you’ve got great access to live rock.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted my build so you can see some of the details. Algae Barn “special” includes all the rock I used plus I have 50lbs+ left over, all the sand, all the media you see + that much again left over and everything for cycling although since you are in FL you’ve got great access to live rock.
I reviewed that first page or 2 of your build thread. Im looking forwarded to reviewing the rest of it. The 1500 looks likes an excellent option for me. This hobby has changed a lot in 20 years. I’ve gone from knowledgeable to newbie. I’ve got a lot to learn and relearn, but that’s part of the intrigue I guess. Maybe they will have another Black Friday or other deal and I’ll dive in.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Innovative Marine made to order tanks that are very close to the WxL measurements you mention. They are 50% off right now. While not as tall, the 112g is 36x36.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Innovative Marine made to order tanks that are very close to the WxL measurements you mention. They are 50% off right now. While not as tall, the 112g is 36x36.

I think I’m going with the bigger tanks since I “found” another previously unconsidered space, but if I end up wanting to use that original space too that would be perfect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back