Help Me Pick a Tank!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless I would go rimless if at all possible with no bracing. Even if it meant starting out with cheaper equipment to run it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue that a sump on a smaller tank has immense value due to the increased water volume on an otherwise small system.

As another member noted, the 40g is a great size if it's something that will fit your needs. It's wide enough to create a pleasing aquascape but still has a relatively small footprint.

The point is that it isn't necessary and takes away one of the perks of running a smaller tank (ie less equipment and cost).

Reefguy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching to see what folks say! One question I have - do all in one tanks like the Nuvo have room for a fuge in the back compartment? Can you put cheoto in there and put a light on top?

I have a IM fusion 20 and just put a fuge in there. with some chateo and marine pure blocks. Bought some cheap red LED grow strip lights on amazon

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is that it isn't necessary and takes away one of the perks of running a smaller tank (ie less equipment and cost).

You either want the benefits of a sump/refugium or you don't, display size is irrelevant.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with all in ones because I feel you get a better system for a better price by going another route.

My advice is to start with a 40 breeder and go from there.

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just starting my first reef tank now, I’m using a 38 gallon bow front. Sumpless. Reef octopus 1000 hob skimmer. This is its current setup, it’s new but gives you the visual idea.

DE2B240A-FEC8-407D-8E68-F18800DC090B.jpeg

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the JBJ all in one. Check out CJ's Aquariums on youtube. He did vlog on his JBJ over a 2 year period. Great Tank. Cool watch.

MSOEME2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost went the AIO route, but decided on a remote sump ultimately. I wanted to run chaeto to export phosphates in conjunction with a skimmer + carbon reactor.

I also think the sump route is quieter and you can hold better equipment while hiding it. However I've seen a lot of great innovative marine tanks out there.

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum, its a great place with great people.

Coming from someone who has purchased 4 tanks in the past 2 months.....take your time with the decision.
1st tank: 8 gallon nano. Small, cheap....that's about the only benefit. Water quality gets out of hand even after 1 overfeeding.

2nd tank; 29 gallon biocube. Pluses- all in one, kind of cool looking, lots of available mods. Biggest negative: I couldn't stand the fact that good retrofit or diy lighting for a reef was ridiculously expensive in my opinion. I'd much rather buy a light that can grow with me, be moved to another tank or scaled up by adding an additional unit. With lights typically costing more than the tank they're above, its a big consideration. I bought an AI Prime HD thinking I'd cut a hole in the top and make it look like a spaceship landed....nope.

3rd tank: 25 gallon rimless cube.
Pluses: I love the footprint, being 18 inches wide. rimless, more modern looking than the biocube. Cheap, and if you drill it, lots of possibilities.
Don't like the depth at 19+ inches. Don't like the fact that by the time you've spent the $$ on drilling, or overflow + the cost of a sump, you could buy a nicer tank without having to lift a finger. Don't like the fact that the sleek form factor is neutered by the need for an overflow (which spaces it away from the wall). Large HOB with media baskets= cheap but ugly solution.

4th tank: Cobalt C-vue 26 gallon AIO.
Pluses: All in one + the sleek form factor of the rimless tanks. Has an arguably better designed rear filtration compartment than the nuvo's. Comes with MJ pumps. (which is why I bought it). 24 inches wide, 2nd reason I bought it. At 24 inches, any clearanced out vanity, kitchen island, or small dresser can be used as a stand which allows for more of a furniture (or fun) look instead of the ubiquitous black plywood mafia that fish tanks are all members of. I would have preferred the 40, but at 36 inches it would have necessitated another light, which at this time would have increased the base project cost 50% and that wasn't happening, I guess I could have gone with 2 black boxes and it would have been cheaper than 1 hydra 26...but why get into the hobby and not get a beautiful spectrum that makes the coral look the best. It's like buying a corvette and running 87, so I'm sticking with the 26.

Will I regret it....probably. But I would arguably need a psychological evaluation if I again changed my mind and bought a 5th tank (Cobalt hasn't even arrived yet).

I can tell you this, I do agree with everyone who says buy the biggest you're comfortable with. If I could swallow the cost of a 2nd Hydra 26, I'd have had a C-vue 40 on its way right now....

Last edited:
Back