Can someone tell me if that uv

If that pump is enough for it?

I really dont know how match the uv to the pump speed

epidemos82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you creating a closed loop pulling water from your main display and then returning it to the display, or are you adding a pump to your sump and then returning to the sump or display?

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. The chart tells you at what flow rate you get a particular amount of UV exposure to the water passing through the filter. Your pump is nominally 568 GPH which will give you between 30K and 45K microwatts/square centimeter, around 39K. If you reduce the flow from your pump, the UV exposure will increase. I don't know offhand how much is required to kill dinos. I'd try it with the pump running at its maximum flow for a few days and then adjust the flow down if you don't see positive results. Keep in mind that not all dinos are susceptible to UV.

You might want to have a look at this link for some ideas about how to handle your dino outbreak

The approach below was successful for me in my frag tank system - 83F killed the dinos off in less than a week without harming the corals or anemones in the system. However, I did not have many SPS in there so that is a potential point of caution.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have from time to time yes. I increased my flow as well. Doing both doesn't seem to really work. I think I just need to be patient
Are you using RODI water? If your water source contains a lot of silicates, this can feed the diatoms.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RODI water? If your water source contains a lot of silicates, this can feed the diatoms.
So good question. I'm having to purchase distilled water from the market. I am somewhat curious if that's why. I just bought 5 gallons of RODI from my lfs on Sunday. My next purchase has to be a RODI UNIT.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back