Help - potential algae problem with new tank

Snot Otter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm relatively new to the hobby and this website. I made a similar post in the Nano forum, so I apologize for double dipping. If it's against the rules, I will delete this one.

A few weeks ago, I started noticing brown algae spreading across the surface of the sand. The algae has since worsened but tends to disappear at night before returning during the day with the lights on. The algae is spreading to the glass, rocks, and random flow generator. My obvious concern is dinos, but hopefully what I'm seeing is diatoms (or even cyano). My tank (a Fluval Evo 13.5) is about four months old, and green algae is just now appearing. Inhabitants include two clown fish, one emerald crab, one blood-red fire shrimp, and one nassarius snail. They eat like pigs and look healthy. Oddly, about a month before the algae outbreak, I lost two trochus snails and one other nassarius, but my tank was clean, probably too clean, so I think they may have starved to death. My parameters, listed below, are pretty good, though the ratio of nitrate to phosphate could be better. I tried a three-day blackout and did not feed during that time, but the brown algae returned after a few days. I've increased flow to eliminate dead spots, which seems to be helping, and started dosing phytoplankton after introducing copepods. Also, I stir the sand regularly and dust the rocks with a baster almost daily. I run mostly blue lights (AI Prime HD 16) for about nine hours a day, ramping up in the morning and down in the evening. I feed TDO pellets 2-3 times a week, with the occasional algae disc thrown in, and do a 30% water change each Sunday. My next goal is to increase CUC numbers and add frags, preferably zoas or GSP. I would appreciate any help, guidance, or insight you can offer.

In-tank Chamber One:
Sponge (changed twice a week)
Poly-Filter (changed every 3-4 weeks), and Chemi-pure Blue and Phosguard as needed
Biomedia (washed in dirty water once a month but not all at once)

In-tank Chamber Two:
Biomedia

Chamber Three:
Syncra Silent 0.5
Heater
Temperature probe

Parameters:
Temperature - 79 degrees
Salinity - 1.024
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1.4 ppm
Phosphate - 0.04 ppm
RODI TDS - 0

Fluval 1.jpg Fluval 2.jpg Fluval 3.jpg Fluval 4.jpg Fluval 5.jpg Fluval 6.jpg Fluval 7.jpg

Thanks!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails will be your best algae eating cuc in a tank that size, they are monsters on diatoms and GHA. And now that you have your diatom bloom, this is the prime time to add them.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep sounds about right, you are smack into the middle of the uglies stages. Prime time for some snails!!! Very good sign for a maturing tank!

OP
OP
Snot Otter

Snot Otter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails will be your best algae eating cuc in a tank that size, they are monsters on diatoms and GHA. And now that you have your diatom bloom, this is the prime time to add them.
Thanks - I plan on getting some Trochus snails. Hopefully, they will survive this time.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I plan on getting some Trochus snails. Hopefully, they will survive this time.
SLOW acclimation is going to be key. Make it well over an hour. They are very sensitive to salinity changes. That was my mistake with my first trochus snails. Bonus is they will breed in your tank too.

OP
OP
Snot Otter

Snot Otter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SLOW acclimation is going to be key. Make it well over an hour. They are very sensitive to salinity changes. That was my mistake with my first trochus snails. Bonus is they will breed in your tank too.
Last time, I floated them in a bag for about 20 minutes. Should I drip acclimate them, like I did with the clown fish and shrimp?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely!! All saltwater inverts need to be acclimated by the drip method of a modified drip method. I cannot recommend this enough.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back