Help remove 30million pounds of garbage out of our oceans! #teamseas

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Attention all Reefers! The time has come to do our share and help clean the ocean. A group of YouTubers are looking to remove 30million pounds of trash from the oceans. Let’s do our part and help this awesome cause!

For attention so the most people can see this, post a FTS in the comments below so we can let all of reef2reef #teamseas!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thrilled to see that this issue is getting wide media exposure, as I grew up on a Bahamian island which had few people but whose beaches were covered with mountains of trash, most of it plastic trash (old shoes, babydolls, and bottles), tar, and (inexplicably, to my mind) lightbulbs. You'd even get NASA space junk on occasion. One family on Cat Island even built a carport from the hull of some booster rocket.

Still, most of the trash in our oceans that isn't directly dumped into it blows off the land or flows down river valleys. We could do a lot for our oceans by just cleaning up our act on the land. It's less glamorous, and will result in fewer dollars for monetized YouTube channels, but probably just as effective in the long run.

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm with you on this. A never ending battle. I go on walkabouts in the woods for miles. You would be amazed how much garbage is just in the middle of no where. Lots of times I come back and bring out as much as I can carry.
It’s truly tragic to see how much trash is collected in the ocean…. I hope we can share this and it get the attention it deserves! In efforts to do that could you share a photo of your tank so more people can see this noble cause on R2R

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm thrilled to see that this issue is getting wide media exposure, as I grew up on a Bahamian island which had few people but whose beaches were covered with mountains of trash, most of it plastic trash (old shoes, babydolls, and bottles), tar, and (inexplicably, to my mind) lightbulbs. You'd even get NASA space junk on occasion. One family on Cat Island even built a carport from the hull of some booster rocket.

Still, most of the trash in our oceans that isn't directly dumped into it blows off the land or flows down river valleys. We could do a lot for our oceans by just cleaning up our act on the land. It's less glamorous, and will result in fewer dollars for monetized YouTube channels, but probably just as effective in the long run.
I agree completely . And being that this is a place for all types of ocean loving people I really think this is a great place find people that really care and have a vested interest in keeping the ocean clean and healthy!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to actually (physically) help out, but being 1700km away from the nearest shoreline makes that difficult. That being said, over the past few years with Canada's commitment to phasing out single-use plastics a good chunk of our home has been converted recycling.

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would love to actually (physically) help out, but being 1700km away from the nearest shoreline makes that difficult. That being said, over the past few years with Canada's commitment to phasing out single-use plastics a good chunk of our home has been converted recycling.
Spreading awareness is a great way to physically help! Commenting and getting a full tank shot as well drums up attention to the post and intern the videos!

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attention all Reefers! The time has come to do our share and help clean the ocean. A group of YouTubers are looking to remove 30million pounds of trash from the oceans. Let’s do our part and help this awesome cause!

For attention so the most people can see this, post a FTS in the comments below so we can let all of reef2reef #teamseas!

It is a brilliant way to rid sea of waste however it's a lost cause? If people in these situations only options is to just dump waste in this way then surely you need to prevent this, as a figure... 100 million waste is dumped into ocean, this clean up crew takes 30 million away.. it's a loosing battle. it is a great cause however in any reefing experience from reading 20 years of various posts... Conclusion is get rid of the source first?...

Millions and trillions of pounds donated to world wide charity's in my lifetime and same problem persist, we can send William shatner into space but can not provide a bin or refuse collection in our own or other countries streets, especially the the ones that no other choice.

Jeff/Amazon guy has so much money he could make us all millionaire s... Price of milk will also raise to.
To win this battle, do your own little lifestyle changes, you can enjoy your life now but for me.. everything is about my daughters, I don't have much money but my heart is massive and I have alot of it to share

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It is a brilliant way to rid sea of waste however it's a lost cause? If people in these situations only options is to just dump waste in this way then surely you need to prevent this, as a figure... 100 million waste is dumped into ocean, this clean up crew takes 30 million away.. it's a loosing battle. it is a great cause however in any reefing experience from reading 20 years of various posts... Conclusion is get rid of the source first?...

Millions and trillions of pounds donated to world wide charity's in my lifetime and same problem persist, we can send William shatner into space but can not provide a bin or refuse collection in our own or other countries streets, especially the the ones that no other choice.

Jeff/Amazon guy has so much money he could make us all millionaire s... Price of milk will also raise to.
To win this battle, do your own little lifestyle changes, you can enjoy your life now but for me.. everything is about my daughters, I don't have much money but my heart is massive and I have alot of it to share
I can appreciate your sentiment and this is a very large problem that is only growing. The silver lining I believe is that they mentioned that it is only 1% of the worlds riverside have this issue where they are polluting and making 90% of the problem. the Skimming the trash of the rivers that are the biggest culprits the problem becomes much more manageable. Also with the trash collecting robots that mark spoke about the work 24-7 so if it can collect 30k in trash a day and never stop I’d say that going to stop more trash the 30million in 10 years

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tee shirt for my wife and I! Also donated to this great cause when I saw him on Jimmy kimmel.
Sean Flanagan Meeting GIF by FoilArmsandHog

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back