Help... stop my constant email alarm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before throwing my Apex out or taking a hammer to it... I figured post here as I always get awesome assistance from this community... so here goes.

The following is my email alarm outlet programing:

Set OFF
If APX-HI CLOSED Then ON
If APX-FG CLOSED Then ON
If Error ATO-Pmup Then ON
If Output DOS-FEEDER = ON Then OFF
Defer 000:15 Then ON

I keep getting email text at 11:15 and 5:15 stating:
If APX-HI CLOSED Then ON

Whats happening during this time of day (11:15 and 5:15) is my tank gets fed. During the feed cycle my pumps turn off... which causes water to drain down into the sump during feed cycle and raises the water level so that it reaches apx-hi (high optical sensor). Triping the email alarm.

What programing could I enter that will stop the apex from sending me alerts during the feed cycle?

As you can see i already put
If Output DOS-FEEDER = ON Then OFF
But that does not seem to work. DOS-FEEDER is my feed pump.

I placed that statement at the end of email alarm. Please remind me do statements in the end take precedent over statements in the begining? Or other way around?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end takes precedent but i think "defer "overrides that.
That's only 15sec defer yes? you tried a longer one to let the return empty the sump some more?

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end takes precedent but i think "defer "overrides that.
That's only 15sec defer yes? you tried a longer one to let the return empty the sump some more?

doe... changed to 5 minutes to see what happens. it not will move the If Output DOS-FEEDER = ON Then OFF to the bottom.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set it up so that you're notified if the high sensor stays closed for more than a certain amount of time, meaning something is wrong and not a false alarm related to temporary changes in return chamber water level. To do this, create and name a virtual outlet from the Outlets page. Say you want the email sent if the sensor stays closed for 5 minutes, except when you're doing a feed cycle, when it should just stay off the whole time. Code the virtual outlet this way:

[APX-HICLSD5]
Set OFF
If SumpHi CLOSED Then ON
Defer 005:00 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Then, this part of your email alarm should read:

Set OFF
If Output APX-HICLSD5 = ON Then ON
If APX-FG CLOSED Then ON

You won't get false alarms with feeding anymore. If you want to go to less than 5 minutes you can, but be sure that your sump gets to a steady level within the time you set, after feed mode ends, or you might get false alarms again.

Also, if you look at what you just did, you can see how it's a very powerful tool. Using virtual outlets, you can create timed and other conditional alarms that are far more useful than the basics. Particularly useful with water levels of all kinds, but also with things like pumps and heaters to warn if they stayed on or off for too long. :)

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex statements are processed in order from first to last, with the last true condition taking precedence for each computing cycle. Except for certain statements, like Defer and Min Time, that affect the entire stack of code; these can therefore be placed anywhere and they function the same.

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set it up so that you're notified if the high sensor stays closed for more than a certain amount of time, meaning something is wrong and not a false alarm related to temporary changes in return chamber water level. To do this, create and name a virtual outlet from the Outlets page. Say you want the email sent if the sensor stays closed for 5 minutes, except when you're doing a feed cycle, when it should just stay off the whole time. Code the virtual outlet this way:

[APX-HICLSD5]
Set OFF
If SumpHi CLOSED Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF

Then, this part of your email alarm should read:

Set OFF
If Output APX-HICLSD5 = ON Then ON
If APX-FG CLOSED Then ON

You won't get false alarms with feeding anymore. If you want to go to less than 5 minutes you can, but be sure that your sump gets to a steady level within the time you set, after feed mode ends, or you might get false alarms again.

Also, if you look at what you just did, you can see how it's a very powerful tool. Using virtual outlets, you can create timed and other conditional alarms that are far more useful than the basics. Particularly useful with water levels of all kinds, but also with things like pumps and heaters to warn if they stayed on or off for too long. :)

I use virtual outlets now and familiar with them. but wouldn't a defer statement in the alarm outlet such as this do the same?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use virtual outlets now and familiar with them. but wouldn't a defer statement in the alarm outlet such as this do the same?

That's not preferable, because now you've got a five minute delay on ALL of your alarms. If your alarm code is simple that might be ok, but there are alarm conditions I don't want to wait five minutes for. Also, if you do it that way, you can't do other things like directly disable the alarm during a feed cycle or turn it on and off with the cabinet door switch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back