Help time to buy new camera, decisions decisions

sr71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am shopping for a DSLR camera, particularly the Nikon D80 and found a huge price range, some too good to be true. For example stores like best buy and circuit city are charging 700-800 for the body and about 1000-1100 with the 18-135mm lens. When I Google the Nikon D80 I see prices range from 400-1200 with lens. I know that the lens is not the same specs but how can they sell for so low and is this legit? Here is some links to those sites. TIA for any advise

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=620990&up=620775&start=1

http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=679296

http://www.1wayphoto.com/prodshelf.asp?dept_id=10267

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some vendors are not reputable and once the order is placed, will high-pressure you to "buy" the other items that normally are included in the box (ie battery, strap, charger, etc.). They are not very nice about it and difficult to understand.

In addition, you want to watch out for "grey" cameras, cameras that do not have the USA warranty. While the initial cost may be slightly lower, the repairs can be expensive and difficult to find someone to repair them if needed. Also watch for cameras sold with the one year warranty by the vendor....it's gray market product and the repair is covered only by the vendor where the camera is purchased.

JGoslee has pointed you to a very reputable and well recognized vendor. Amazon.com is another place to look...free shipping!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+4 for B&H...

Also check places like sams and office depot online prices. They will usually match them in the store with proof. That's how I got my macro lens.. I got bust buy to match somebody else's sale online.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my macro lens from bh and their shipping is just nuts, i was impressed
i also got my point and shoot from ritz so i like them too, not the brightest people at the stores though, didnt know what a step up ring was and had to get the manager and he didnt know either
but instead of getting the 2 lens package i would get the 18-135 lens, thats probably the better kit lens that nikon offers

just found this out, but at ritz right now you can get 10% off using paypal :)

Last edited:

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i have a d80, and its a great camera, and the 18-135 is a great lens. the 70-200, or 70-300 i dont remember which one they off in the pacake deal, but both are nice zooms for high light, outdoor shots. but it doesnt have a low enough aprature to alow lower light situations from a distance. But you arent paying that much for it either. i would pick up the larger telephoto as well, or just get a macro lens. IMHO, tamron 90mm macro is the best macro lens out there for the nikon, and underwater photos. f-stop can go as high as 51!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back