help with AFS programming

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally posted this on the neptune forums but not sure if i'll get a response in time. I leave for vacation weds and want to ensure this is setup properly before i leave. My assumptions are italicized below in the program. LMK if I am wrong and what i need to do. Thank in advance for any help!

@Zombie @SuncrestReef

So I've been looking at both your recommendations/tutorials on how to program the AFS. I essentially cut&paste zombie's program above but not getting the desired results. Wav pump turns off and i get 1 rotation but that's it. I'm trying to understand how to get multiple drum rotations.

vfeed
Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:05 Then ON vfeed program runs for 5mins
If Time 13:30 to 13:35 Then ON

startfeed
Set OFF
If Output vfeed = ON Then ON
Defer 001:00 Then ON startfeed starts at 8:01

stopfeed
Set OFF
If Output vfeed = ON Then ON
Defer 003:30 Then ON wait 3mins 30 secs then set off

AFS
Set OFF
If Output startfeed = ON Then ON first drum rotation at 8:01
If Output stopfeed = ON Then OFF feed cycle stops after 3mins 30 sec

Wav pump
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If Output vfeed = ON Then OFF wav pump stays off for 5mins

Originally Posted by zombie View Post
What determines the number of rotations is the difference in time between the startfeed Defer and the stopfeed Defer
Ex startfeed Defer 002:00 and StopFeed Defer 005:30 would be 4 rotations at 2, 3, 4, and 5 minutes after. Startfeed 001:00 and StopFeed 006:30 would be 6 rotations at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 minutes after.

so based on the above code, i am not getting the multiple drum rotations. I guess i don't understand the logic quoted above. My understanding of how the AFS works is you need to cycle it on and off for each rotation.
In the example above, "startfeed Defer 002:00 and StopFeed Defer 005:30 would be 4 rotations at 2, 3, 4, and 5 minutes after" so the defer statement is only for the initial rotation then it's 1min there after?
In any case it's not working for me.

also, not that it's a big deal but what if i wanted the 1st drum rotation exactly at 8:00? Wav pump shuts off at exactly 8:00 so i can feed immediately too. Or is the defer line required for mulitple rotations?

thanks!

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have looks like it is at least functional. I'm not sure about the defer questions specifically, but possibly this would help:

If you set up the AFS using Neptune's task, you can afterwards switch the type to 'Advanced' and can see the code that Neptune generated. May be helpful in comparing notes... Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have looks like it is at least functional. I'm not sure about the defer questions specifically, but possibly this would help:

If you set up the AFS using Neptune's task, you can afterwards switch the type to 'Advanced' and can see the code that Neptune generated. May be helpful in comparing notes... Good luck!
right...but per @SuncrestReef that only gets you so far:
However, while this automates the AFS, it does not give you control over your powerheads, pumps, or skimmer. The best way to incorporate an automated feeder and mimic the Feed Cycle buttons is to use a virtual output to control everything.

the few posts i've seen from suncrestreef only deal with 1 drum rotation using the VO program

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back