Help with diagnosis, ulceration on Dispar Anthias.

undbulsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been in quarantine with 5 other Dispars for 8 days. Copper Power at 1.75 by Hanna Checker. All eating well on BBS and Golden Pearl pellets. Noticed this bulge at the base of the tail on one of the fish. No signs of ich. Any ideas on what this might be and should I stop the Copper and start General Cure or NFG?
IMG_0430.jpg
0.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything on any of the other fish? With anthias uronema is a concern but since it was in copper for 8 days it’s more likely bacterial.

If possible give it an acriflavine or ruby rally bath and then treat with metro-kanaplex-furan.

OP
OP
undbulsu

undbulsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing on the other fish. After multiple attempts, I finally have a group of Dispars that are eating and swimming around the quarantine tank. Thought I was doing great till I saw this bump. The fish all seem great. A first for Dispars fo me. They always just seem to hide and lay on the bottom till they eventually die.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that's either Uronema or a bacterial infection - both can move swiftly.

If you begin treatment (in QT) with the "Trifecta" of Furan-2, Metroplex and Kanaplex, you'll have both illnesses covered. Treat as directed on the packages, including water changes, for a minimum of 10 days - 14 if it seems warranted - and it's probably warranted.

~Bruce

OP
OP
undbulsu

undbulsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update
I got all the Anthias out of copper and switched to NFG. Kept in NFG till yesterday when I got some Kanamycin, Metroplex and Furan-2. Started on that yesterday after water change
The previously infected tissue seems to have necrosed and from the pic it seems to have begun the healing process. Still eating, swimming well. In fact he seems to be one of the most energetic.
I just wonder if I should give up on him. All the other Anthias are disease free. Am I causing more harm than good by treating them all? Any ideas on diagnosis? Leaning bacterial.
IMG_0450.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update
I got all the Anthias out of copper and switched to NFG. Kept in NFG till yesterday when I got some Kanamycin, Metroplex and Furan-2. Started on that yesterday after water change
The previously infected tissue seems to have necrosed and from the pic it seems to have begun the healing process. Still eating, swimming well. In fact he seems to be one of the most energetic.
I just wonder if I should give up on him. All the other Anthias are disease free. Am I causing more harm than good by treating them all? Any ideas on diagnosis? Leaning bacterial.
IMG_0450.jpg

I wouldn’t give up, abx can take a while to start working. Do you by any chance have ruby rally? I think an antiseptic bath could help jumpstart the process.

Also, not a bad idea to keep treating all fish. While it may not be uronema, bacterial infections can spread on other fish and perhaps the abx are keeping them at bay.

OP
OP
undbulsu

undbulsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ruby rally, but will get some. He is the male of the group and the prettiest. (despite the ulcer) I'm sure I can find how to do a bath here on the site.

OP
OP
undbulsu

undbulsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not so good news. Despite my best efforts he didn't make it. And another has classic signs of uronema. ( red area on side of body) This is new, but I don't think he will make it. I did a tank transfer of the other 4 that show no problems and am beginning treating them with just metro. ( I think the combo of metro, kanamycin, and Furan-2 was too much for them in their weakened state.) I will continue to feed the metro and kanamycin . Got some quick cure coming for a bath as well as ruby rally. Man, Anthias are tough. All because of this picture, that my wife and I picked up in St Lucia on a vacation. She made me promise if I ever got an aquarium it would have this type of fish in it.
IMG_0455.jpg

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that's either Uronema or a bacterial infection - both can move swiftly.

If you begin treatment (in QT) with the "Trifecta" of Furan-2, Metroplex and Kanaplex, you'll have both illnesses covered. Treat as directed on the packages, including water changes, for a minimum of 10 days - 14 if it seems warranted - and it's probably warranted.

~Bruce
So add all 3 in QT as directed? what about a freshwater dip prior to QT? I read it can help rid the parasite.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So add all 3 in QT as directed? what about a freshwater dip prior to QT? I read it can help rid the parasite.

I'm not certain on freshwater dips and Uronema - @HotRocks or @Humblefish might be able to shed light there.

All three antibiotics in QT covers a wide variety of bacterial ailments, and the Metro has you covered for Uronema and Brooklynella as well.

~Bruce

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back