Mg 1240
no3 8+-
po 0.00

The fish in the system
: large purple tang, large sailfin tang
and large lineatus
And some other small fish

I'm adding
'ORGANIC' (organically bound trace elements), 'MIN S' (coral food), 'AMIN' (amino acids)
of 'Fauna marin'

The system is very well established for over two years and I still can't grow the corals the way I want.
On the one hand, the Euphyllia open nicely, but zeontids, calvelaria and digitata do not grow, some of the zeontids do not even open.
As much as I try to raise the phosphate level, I do not succeed, not even with a phosphate supplement.
I use with refuge to lower the nutrients and have kessil lighting
I also have a Perlon roll for filtration and a protein skimmer with ozone.

Another thing that bothers me is that there is always brown algae or diatoms on the glass

Many thanks to anyone who can help me

P1030223.JPG P1030228.JPG P1030227.JPG P1030226.JPG

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Film algae is normal on the glass. My tank is over 2 years old and I have to clean the glass every 3 days. An easy way to increase phosphates is increase feeding. You’ll want to get your magnesium up, shoot for about 1400 your euphyllia will thank you.

OP
OP
Y

yekutiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Film algae is normal on the glass. My tank is over 2 years old and I have to clean the glass every 3 days. An easy way to increase phosphates is increase feeding. You’ll want to get your magnesium up, shoot for about 1400 your euphyllia will thank you.
Are you going to feed the fish or the coral?
Because I feed the fish twice a day with dry food
Also, wouldn't that raise the nitrate?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What phosphate product are you using and what test kit?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one I’d choose between the roller mat and the skimmer… I think this is the problem everyone is having with Dino’s as the roller mat catches almost everything and the skimmer doesn’t do its job to the fullest but strips what little is left. Nothing even gets a chance to break down and be part of the nitrogen cycle as it’s removed as soon as it goes in with a roller mat. Secondly if you wanna raise your p04 use reef roids it feeds your coral and will raise them very fast so start slow… also make sure you have a Hannah checker for the po4 it’s the best we got even thou it’s not totally perfect.

OP
OP
Y

yekutiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one I’d choose between the roller mat and the skimmer… I think this is the problem everyone is having with Dino’s as the roller mat catches almost everything and the skimmer doesn’t do its job to the fullest but strips what little is left. Nothing even gets a chance to break down and be part of the nitrogen cycle as it’s removed as soon as it goes in with a roller mat. Secondly if you wanna raise your p04 use reef roids it feeds your coral and will raise them very fast so start slow… also make sure you have a Hannah checker for the po4 it’s the best we got even thou it’s not totally perfect.
Even a pure phosphate supplement didn't increase the values so something is probably absorbing it and it won't help to use more coral food, am I right?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank full of LPS that are thriving with nitrates in the high teens to low twenties. I wouldn't worry much about them rising from where they are currently.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a pure phosphate supplement didn't increase the values so something is probably absorbing it and it won't help to use more coral food, am I right?
Newer dry rock? It will absorb it till it becomes saturated then release it back into the water column… I struggled with low po4 myself since I dose bacteria and a carbon source but found reef roids to keep them elevated for myself.

OP
OP
Y

yekutiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer dry rock? It will absorb it till it becomes saturated then release it back into the water column… I struggled with low po4 myself since I dose bacteria and a carbon source but found reef roids to keep them elevated for myself.
You recommend leaving all the additives and also add reef roids?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You recommend leaving all the additives and also add reef roids?
Im not familiar with all those but I use zeobac with zeo food “coral amino” and reef roids myself.. along with bacto balance “carbon source” and use all for reef which is amazing by the way! I don’t think it would hurt keep up with what your doing if the nitrates are under control and you just need to raise phosphates then reef roids would be the ticket.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, reef roids will increase your phosphates and I would add frozen mysis and LRS reef frenzy.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back