erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi anybody have an idea what this algae is
IMG_20201203_122119.jpg

Look like straight, , chaeto but it's anchored to the rock.
Anything eat this stuff?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like GHA. You tell us what it us.

Green Hair Algae
hair algae 300x225 hairalgae2 300x181

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

Why it Happened: An excess of available nutrients, particular the majors like phosphates and nitrates. Keep an eye on possible iron and potassium sources which may also help fuel hair algae. Hair algae spores and fragments are so abundant that keeping it out of the tank via quarantine is unlikely to be successful. Your best bet to preventing this algae from taking hold is to maintain a weekly water change regimen, maintain your filtration and perform manual/natural algae removal as it forms. Proper magnesium and alkalinity levels are thought to discourage the growth of many species of GHA.

Starving it out: Use a phosban reactor or a macroalgae like chaeto to reduce nutrients. Increase the frequency of your water change routine, taking the opportunity to siphon out as much hair algae as you can each time. Older light bulbs tend to drift towards the red spectrum, and fuel the growth of hair algae so considered replacing them if need be.

Green Turf Algae
derbesia 300x200

What is known as "Green Turf Algae" in the hobby is really a generic name given to hundreds of different species of macroalgae that describe certain similar characteristics. They are coarse, wiry, and generally have thicker wider blades than Green Hair Algae. They may or may not have a mat like root structure, sometimes they just seem to sprout from the rock.

Turf algae that sprouts directly from the rock can be a pain to control, as it is difficult if not impossible to pluck it all. Once discovered it should be treated outside of the aquarium, perhaps by dipping the affected rock or frag in water treated with an algaecide.Turf algae that grows with a "root" mat can be peeled by pushing down on the algae as you scrape your thumb against the rock dislodging it in one swoop. Let it get big enough so you have leverage. The 3reef member who removed this piece did it perfectly.

Clean up Crew members that will eat Green Turf Algae include inverts with considerable cutting power like urchins, chitons, and emerald crabs.

OP
OP
E

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for a more specific algae name sort of like valonia or briopsis.
But then again it could be in the turf algae category.
Snails or the urchin won't touch it though.
It's really wirery like chaeto but can't rip it off roots and all sadly.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment is pretty much the same no matter what the specific name. You should be asking yourself why.

Since you have no tank thread or posted information I will give you a generic answer with respect to nuisance algae. Encourage good algae like coral zooanthellia. Increase diversity of healthy micro fauna & fana which are competitors & consumers of nuisance algae. Do not bottom out nitrogen & phosphorus as it will eliminate the good and encourage the bad.

OP
OP
E

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted I was stingy with the info as I was just looking for an ID and maybe specific info on how to combat this type of algae since the clean up crew won't touch it.

Just in case I wasn't 100% clear it's this stuff
Screenshot_20201203_153555.jpg

Probably came in on a frag as I haven't seen it in the tank the corals used to be in.
It's a holding tank as my floor is currently ripped out because of waterdamage(unrelated).
Corals, 6 snails, 1 conch, 1 urchin. No other algae issues.
Couple of powerheads, AI 26HD, Tunze 3181 Refugium to keep my chaeto alive and nutrients down.
Overkill yes but already had it here.
16070065312228289959233434102139.jpg

16070066670441416447303164364458.jpg

8.9 dkh
450 ca
1450 mg
5-10 nitrate
0.05 po4

Again was hoping to get a more specific name out of curiosity and if exists treatmet/predator but if no such info exists then I'll probably nuke it with peroxide.

stonecoldant316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same algae and also have no idea what type it is. Peroxide will kill it but it comes back. I'm doing fluconazole right now and it seems to really weaken it. I'm only on week 2 of the treatment so I'm not sure if it will take it out yet.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get more white light to help ID.

Check out green macro algae at this link. Condium comes to mind.

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.

Table of Contents

About The Author Introduction Marine Plants In The Aquarium
The Refugium Substrates Selecting Quality Plants
Aquascapes Lighting Reproductive Cycle
Filtration Nutrients Maintenance
Case For Caulerpa Green Macroalgae Red Macroalgae
Brown Macroalgae Seagrass Mangroves
References Glossary Online Articles

This algae features dark green, cylindrical branches connected by a single holdfast to rocks, shell fragments and hard bottoms. The branching is irregular and features soft fuzzy filaments at the tips resembling the fingers of a sponge. Individual species of Codium are abundant in shallow water habitats worldwide. Most varieties prefer cooler water temperatures so are normally available to the hobbyist seasonally in the U.S. Depending upon the species they can grow as large as 12" tall. Not palatable to fish or invertebrates. Keeping aquarium water below 80 degrees is important, as they will start to die if the water becomes too warm.

OP
OP
E

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the condiumbut but thanks for the site! Will browse there for suitable names.

@stonecoldant316 shame it comes back after peroxide. Don't think anything will eat it.
Here's to hoping that a full peroxide dip of the area and then transfer into a different thank will keep it out of there...

Pictures under whiter lights 16070109143935231530246996977482.jpg IMG_20201203_164923.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back