Help

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this might be a stupid question but is my water pump supposed to be underwater along with the tube? For some reason my water pump started making a loud buzzing noise and was wondering if that had anything to do with it. I can post pictures if that helps

20210326_181649.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is a submersible pump, so it is supposed to be underwater. If it's buzzing, you can check the impeller and make sure it's not obstructed.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, the pump and tube are supposed to be under water.

I can only guess about the buzzing but it could either be something that has been sucked into the pump, something broken on the pump, or the pump has moved and it is knocking against the glass or baffle.

I would try to move it away from the glass (and maybe lift it off the bottom to see if that helps). If not, as mentioned, you will need to take it out and inspect the impellor.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes. The intake is on the bottom of the pump, the tubing brings the water from the pump up to the output. That pump is sealed so it's water proof. If the noises changed, I would pull the pump and check for obstructions or make sure the prefilter isn't plugged up.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The intake is on the bottom of the pump, the tubing brings the water from the pump up to the output. That pump is sealed so it's water proof. If the noises changed, I would pull the pump and check for obstructions or make sure the prefilter isn't plugged up.
When I turn off everything in my tank the water rises up and the tubing is underwater again.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is normal. You might need to add some water to that chamber so that when the pump is running it (and the top where it connects to the tube) is completely submerged.

If it isn't then it might be sucking in air (running dry) and the pump won't last long doing that (which could be the reason for the noise if it has been doing that for some time).

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal. You might need to add some water to that chamber so that when the pump is running it (and the top where it connects to the tube) is completely submerged.

If it isn't then it might be sucking in air (running dry) and the pump won't last long doing that (which could be the reason for the noise if it has been doing that for some time)

If it isn't then it might be sucking in air (running dry) and the pump won't last long doing that (which could be the reason for the noise if it has been doing that for some time).
Do I add saltwater or freshwater?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is your salinity?

If it has been caused by evaporation you will need to add RODI water, If it was just empty then it will need to be saltwater.

Check your salinity, If it is high then the RODI will lower it back to where it was. If it is correct then saltwater (of the same salinity) will keep it the same.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity?

If it has been caused by evaporation you will need to add RODI water, If it was just empty then it will need to be saltwater.

Check your salinity, If it is high then the RODI will lower it back to where it was. If it is correct then saltwater (of the same salinity) will keep it the same.
So my salinity is about 1.028 and I don't have a RODI system or water with me. Is it safe to add freshwater?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't if there is any other way around it. What water do you usually use?

How big is the tank? Hopefully someone else will chime here but distilled might be ok if you could get to a grocery store. As a last resort you might get away with tap water with a dechlorinator but I wouldn't want to do that myself.

What is in the tank? What tank is it?

It might be better to leave it at 1.028 overnight rather than add tap water (assuming you can get some RODI tomorrow). In that case you would need to try to get some flow in the display. If you can't fill up that chamber to get the circulation going then it might be worth moving the pump and heater into the display to keep it aerated and heated overnight.

The salinity will continue to get worse though as the evaporation continues. If you can cover the tank with something to help minimise evaporation that would be good. You may also need to gently bring the salinity back down to where you want it rather than shocking the inhabitants (if there are any) with one big refill of RODI water.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just set up my tank about 2 days ago. I am using and I am going to use RODI water from my local saltwater fish store. I was thinking of making my own saltwater in the future. My tank is cycling at the moment so nothing is inside the tank except the dry rock and sand. My tank is a WaterBox 20 gallon cube.
I wouldn't if there is any other way around it. What water do you usually use?

How big is the tank? Hopefully someone else will chime here but distilled might be ok if you could get to a grocery store. As a last resort you might get away with tap water with a dechlorinator but I wouldn't want to do that myself.

What is in the tank? What tank is it?

It might be better to leave it at 1.028 overnight rather than add tap water (assuming you can get some RODI tomorrow). In that case you would need to try to get some flow in the display. If you can't fill up that chamber to get the circulation going then it might be worth moving the pump and heater into the display to keep it aerated and heated overnight.

The salinity will continue to get worse though as the evaporation continues. If you can cover the tank with something to help minimise evaporation that would be good. You may also need to gently bring the salinity back down to where you want it rather than shocking the inhabitants (if there are any) with one big refill of RODI water.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, in that case I would just turn the pump off and try to get some more RODI tomorrow.

You could move the heater into the main display (unplug it for 30 min, move it, then plug it back in) if you wanted to keep it warm, but as i's only been running 2 days I might be tempted to turn it all off overnight.

In the future you will need to keep topping up the evaporation with RODI water. If the top of the cube is open (i.e. no lid) then this will be a noticeable amount - i.e. you might have to add water every day. If you don't then the salinity will go up and down.

If you haven't got one already, it might be worth looking into auto top offs, that sense the water level and automatically pump the replacement water in so you don't have to. This also helps to keep your salinity stable.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You want your salinity around 1.024-1.026. if you're at 1.028 you need to add freshwater (rodi, but not rodi premixed saltwater - they are different). Also, how much does your water level rise when you shut off the tank? I keep my 5 gallon all-in-one almost as high in the rear as in the main tank. Also, several people have recommended plugging the "intake" in the middle of the tank and only running the water through the top, but I find that I can partially plug that middle one to adjust the level in the tank when the pump is running. Make sure you're not running above the max line on the back of the tank.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, in that case I would just turn the pump off and try to get some more RODI tomorrow.

You could move the heater into the main display (unplug it for 30 min, move it, then plug it back in) if you wanted to keep it warm, but as i's only been running 2 days I might be tempted to turn it all off overnight.

In the future you will need to keep topping up the evaporation with RODI water. If the top of the cube is open (i.e. no lid) then this will be a noticeable amount - i.e. you might have to add water every day. If you don't then the salinity will go up and down.

If you haven't got one already, it might be worth looking into auto top offs, that sense the water level and automatically pump the replacement water in so you don't have to. This also helps to keep your salinity stable.

Ok thank you. One question, Do I add the water to the chamber or to the tank because my water seems to be in the same level. (The first picture is with everything turned on and the second is everything off)

Attachments

• 16168127507648998908271264375191.jpg
    16168127507648998908271264375191.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1616812859786141257643266086012.jpg
    1616812859786141257643266086012.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 19

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok thank you. One question, Do I add the water to the chamber or to the tank because my water seems to be in the same level. (The first picture is with everything turned on and the second is everything off)
Do you have any media in the back section?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Based on the pictures and the specs on your tank, about half to 1 gallon is going from the tank into the back section when you shut it off. That section only holds about 2.25 gallons total and with the media basket, about 2/3 of that tends to stay in the media section when everything is running. The return section is probably getting pretty low. If your tank isn't running super warm, you can adjust the return nozzle so there's less surface agitation. That should help with evaporation. It sounds and looks like it may just be a water level issue. Like @FishyFishFish said, top it off and see if it sounds better.

OP
OP
U

Username177013

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the pictures and the specs on your tank, about half to 1 gallon is going from the tank into the back section when you shut it off. That section only holds about 2.25 gallons total and with the media basket, about 2/3 of that tends to stay in the media section when everything is running. The return section is probably getting pretty low. If your tank isn't running super warm, you can adjust the return nozzle so there's less surface agitation. That should help with evaporation. It sounds and looks like it may just be a water level issue. Like @FishyFishFish said, top it off and see if it sounds better.
I'm sorry that I responded to this so late but do I add water inside the tank or the back section?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back