Hermits and Snails

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I bought 4 trochus snails for my 85l nano, I also have 2 hermits that are rather aggressive and have previously gone after 2 of my nassarius snails.
I am planning tomorrow to add some extra shells for the hermits, but if anyone has any tips for stopping hermit crab aggression with snails will be greatly appreciated.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I bought 4 trochus snails for my 85l nano, I also have 2 hermits that are rather aggressive and have previously gone after 2 of my nassarius snails.
I am planning tomorrow to add some extra shells for the hermits, but if anyone has any tips for stopping hermit crab aggression with snails will be greatly appreciated.
What are you feeding the hermits?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A crabs gotta do what a crabs gotta do. They are in a small space and probably the only thing they see currently for food or upgraded housing is the snails.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus are definitely the snails to have as they're quite resilient against hermits. Spare shells (varying sizes) always helps.
My hermits must be zombie hermits then, they love a good trochus, sometimes not even for the shell. I stopped trying to separate them, I just buy more trochus snails when they get low. And people say mantis shrimps are bad

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits must be zombie hermits then, they love a good trochus, sometimes not even for the shell. I stopped trying to separate them, I just buy more trochus snails when they get low. And people say mantis shrimps are bad
Sometimes hermits just have to be hermits... (there's probably a tasteless hobo joke in here somewhere). :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back