High Alkalinity - High Nutrient and pushing the limits

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I was wondering who has pushed the limits on high nutrients with a high alkalinity system.

I was trying to follow the RedSea online suggestion for nutrients and heard from fellow reefers that they are much higher because I couldn't keep blastos or acans alive.

1701288703556.png

Anyways, so as I have been raising my nutrients I realize that I don't have test kits that are in the range anymore so I was just curious how high some of you guys have gone.

What I have in the tank.

monti
stylo
birdsnest
green leather
a few indo torches
lots of zoas
duncan
candy canes
clove poly
frog spawn
mushrooms
3 x maxima clams
1 x deresa clam

Current nutritents

Nitrates - 25 to 50 ppm (Salifert)
Phosphates - 1 ppm
Alkalinity 12-13 dkh

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need that much nitrate and phosphate for high alk. That level of phosphate may slow things down in terms of skeletal growth.

Also red sea assumes you to be following their whole care guide which includes daily coral feedings and nopox.

OP
OP
M

mrhongkongwong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need that much nitrate and phosphate for high alk. That level of phosphate may slow things down in terms of skeletal growth.

Also red sea assumes you to be following their whole care guide which includes daily coral feedings and nopox.

Didn't try to get it that high via reef roids but ended up here now.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back