High Light LPS Corals

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been having an internal battle over the direction I want to take my 60g and have ultimately decided I want to continue to focus on acans and basically cover the bottom of the tank with them. I plan on ordering a pillar and some of the magnetic shelves from the The Alternative Reef to keep the bottom of the tank pretty much clear (and I think it'll look pretty sweet).

With that being said, what LPS would be better for the top half of the tank on the pillar and magnetic shelves?

I do enjoy SPS and have had success keeping them, I'm just not sure I can get the best of both worlds with bright, thriving acans AND sps since acans enjoy a little "dirtier" water and less flow.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few chalices that do well mid level but I think some sticks in there would be needed it would look flats with out them.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says chalices like low light, well 90% of the chalices i own, love high light, i have all of my chalices 1 foot under a reef evolution led pendant and I they grow so so so so much faster than when they were under the 6t5 bulbs.

Also favias seem to like moderatly intense light...

Like said above,its going to look flat,you should get 1 or 3 fast growing acros and put them in the cneter of the top of the pillar and then put lps around them!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good points, I didn't think about the lack of depth to the tank without any sticks up there.

I've just started dabbling in the chalices, picked up a few cheaper frags from a sponsor and have really been enjoying them! Still a ways out on the waiting list for the pillar and such but I'm looking forward to having a more permanent (ie. not always adjusting) scape than I have in the past.

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll be tagging along. i've been trying to get into lps a little more but have light issues form time to time.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue most chalices take a while to get some nice size to them.. I think a nice acro maybe even a red planet to get some good tabling depth but it will also grow upward and give the hole thing volume.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll be tagging along. i've been trying to get into lps a little more but have light issues form time to time.
What iss your light issue what does the lps do when you place it there? Also what are your parameters chalices can be funky

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to get chalices as frags! There are plenty of places to get them as colonies!

But red planet would look nice on top.

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my chalices due pretty good. it's the brains that fade a bit. i lost a little color on my dragon soul, prism, and sunburst favia. i do loose the metallic look a little on red chalice though.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinda lights fo you use that plays a bigg role in chalice color and what bulbs they also are picky.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like mag a little higher, zero po4 some no3 and they also need a stable alk or they gett piissed very easy.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back