High phosphate nuisance algae?

BryceJohn39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what’s really going on here all my test seem to be showing low but my phosphate skyrocketed after using reef roids so I think the is is the issue? How should I go about lowering it back down I have a protein skimmer on the way

IMG_3597.jpeg

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what’s really going on here all my test seem to be showing low but my phosphate skyrocketed after using reef roids so I think the is is the issue? How should I go about lowering it back down I have a protein skimmer on the way

IMG_3597.jpeg
There are multiple treatments for phosphates id reccomend this fluval product

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae need enough of lots of things, including sources of N, P, and various trace elements (and light, space, carbon, etc.).

Having more than enough of one of those will not generally make algae grow faster, because one of the other needs will become growth limiting.

Thus, for example, algae will not generally grow faster with 1 ppm phosphate than 0.2 ppm phosphate because in neither case is availability of P likely to be the thing that is limiting growth.

The Reef Roids and other foods and additives likely supplied enough of what that organism needs, but reducing phosphate will not necessarily control it until the level gets quite low, and sometimes that level is low enough to also harm corals.

FWIW, I cannot tell from the picture what is growing on the sand, but different organisms (cyano, dinos, algae, etc.) have different approaches to helping.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles on the rocks are a symptom of Dino’s a microscope to ID what you have would be helpful.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my test seem to be showing low but my phosphate skyrocketed

What are the test values? Low and skyrocketed are descriptive in a way but not really helpful

Reef roids is known to make phosphate jump up. Try benereef instead. It’s also powder food but doesn’t cause the phosphate spiked

How much reef roids do you use at a tine?

Back