High Phosphates... 0.9

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000008541.jpg

So this has been going on for a few months now. I'm checking it weekly and it's be between .7 and .9 for the most part. I have a mixed reef. I have 0 algea and problems with any corals.

For the past month now I've started introducing Sps corals into the tank. The SPS are doing great and holding there color. Some are starting to show growth tips and some just seem to just be doing nothing. I'm assuming they are just adjusting to there environment?

My question is... Should I try to lower my p04 levels slowly? I've read that high p04 can slow.l growth. I'm debating whether or not I should just leave it where it is or try to lower it?

All other parameters are very stable... all for reef on a doser and I also have N03 on a doser as well to maintain 10ppm. For some reason my tank just eats nitrates.

Thanks for all your help!

1000008505.jpg

1000008475.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lower po4 when above 0.5ppm using lanthanum chloride. Do not lower more than 0.4 ppm per day, do not use lc below 0.2 .
Be cautious with lc, read threads about it.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating whether or not I should just leave it where it is or try to lower it?
From pictures the tank looks good. I would sit on my hands and do zero active intervention.

Do you measure PO4 after feeding? That can artificially increase the result. I measure late at night or before adding any food.

What do you feed?
For example Reef Roids can increase PO4…. Frozen food as well etc…. I would go through all the additives to see what the PO4 source is. In the end it has to be added.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From pictures the tank looks good. I would sit on my hands and do zero active intervention.

Do you measure PO4 after feeding? That can artificially increase the result. I measure late at night or before adding any food.

What do you feed?
For example Reef Roids can increase PO4…. Frozen food as well etc…. I would go through all the additives to see what the PO4 source is. In the end it has to be added.
I was thinking the same thing..."if it's not broke don't fix it" hahaha. But the other half of my brain wants to tinker haha. I test my n03/p04 on the weekend about an hour before lights come on.

I have a good amount t of fish in the tank so the autofeeder is doing 4 turns a day, 2 turns at 10am and 2 turns at 130pm. Then around 4pm they get 2 cubes of mysis and some nori. 20ml of AB+ once a week.

Tank had a sever crash with dinoflagellates a while back while I was trying to chase low #s... rookie mistake I know. So since then I've been trying to feed more but it seems that only my p04 seems to stay. N03 I'm dosing 10ml daily just to keep steady around 10-15 ppm.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are great tanks with 1 ppm phosphate, I'd personally slowly work to lower the levels.
Thanks Randy... quick question... should I slow down the feedings of the pellets? Or try some GFO? Not sure the best way to slowly bring them down.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy... quick question... should I slow down the feedings of the pellets? Or try some GFO? Not sure the best way to slowly bring them down.

I'm not sure either. GFO will work, but is expensive.

What fish are in the system? A tiny dose of lanthanum each day may be fine if you do not have tangs.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure either. GFO will work, but is expensive.

What fish are in the system? A tiny dose of lanthanum each day may be fine if you do not have tangs.
Gem Tang
Khole Tang
Scopas Tang
Midas
Chromis
Maroon clown
Bassalet
box anthias
Lyertail anthias
Foxface
Royal gamma

I think that's all of em haha. I do have a High Capacity GFO from you guys I just haven't opened yet. I don't have a reactor though.. could I mix some in with my carbon bag?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use lanthanum in very very small doses to lower phosphate from 1.2 to 0.5. I have 4 full size tangs in my 200g. Just have to be very careful with lanthanum but imo it's the fastest and easiest way to lower PO4.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you doing w/cs? That tang load seems pretty hefty.
Honestly it's been a long time (5 months maybee more)... Nitrates bottom out so fast that I have to dose daily. I dose all for reef as well and tank is monitored by Apex/trident. A few ICP tests here and there but all normal besides of course the higher P03. Never had a reason to do a WC in a while. Tank is well balanced.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it's been a long time (5 months maybee more)... Nitrates bottom out so fast that I have to dose daily. I dose all for reef as well and tank is monitored by Apex/trident. A few ICP tests here and there but all normal besides of course the higher P03. Never had a reason to do a WC in a while. Tank is well balanced.
Dilution seems like the simplest solution, water changes would help you keep phos down. With that being said, I understand not wanting to mess with a good thing. Personally, I would do small, biweekly water changes rather than add GFO or lower feeding. I love fat fish and I don't like spending lots of $$$ on media that needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
NickyReefs

NickyReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilution seems like the simplest solution, water changes would help you keep phos down. With that being said, I understand not wanting to mess with a good thing. Personally, I would do small, biweekly water changes rather than add GFO or lower feeding. I love fat fish and I don't like spending lots of $$$ on media that needs to be replaced.
Drives me nuts seeing that high of a reading... but I'm also happy that it's pretty stable at that reading lol!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water changes end up being very poor performing for lowering phosphate

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes end up being very poor performing for lowering phosphate
For small tank, water changes are good for reducing nitrate and PO4 but I agree for large tanks, doing 50% water change is not practical and if PO4 is leeching from rocks, there's a lot of water changes to bring that down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back