High Zinc on ICP results.

Naldy_PR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!!!

I am doing ICP (tank water) on a weekly basis until elements consumption can be established.

On the last 3 results Zinc has come high. On this last test, received today, Zinc is the only element out of range.

What should I look into? Food? RODI? K/A elements?

Thanks in advance!

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your RO for sure. Especially if you’re on a well. Mine came back high and installed a second DI unit and resolved the problem.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What value? Icp companies often seem to suggest the sky is falling.
Mine was showing sky high readings and never seen one negative issue in my big system at all.

Since this Icp, I will not be doing them anymore and just gonna make sure my TDS is zero and do water changes.

I don’t trust ICP tests 100% yet , especially when I see no ill effect in my systems

Attachments

• IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Naldy_PR

Naldy_PR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was showing sky high readings and never seen one negative issue in my big system at all.

Since this Icp, I will not be doing them anymore and just gonna make sure my TDS is zero and do water changes.

I don’t trust ICP tests 100% yet , especially when I see no ill effect in my systems
I need to understand the source, my corals are doing great as well. I do not see any ill effect on them, still would love to know the source.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.
I happened to do an RO test randomly and it showed the high zinc. I did notice then that I neeeded to replace one of my DI units and said screw it, throw on an additional one to ensure 0 TDS.

Did it make a difference? No idea, cause I’m not worried about it and not wasting money on frequent ICP tests anymore

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go Sr.

I think that I need to raise a bit of Chromium, Iron, Molybdenum and Nickel…..right?

I don’t have confidence in that company to warrant any special action aside from looking for metal parts of any kind in the water.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18.7 ug/L isn’t that high. It’s elevated, but typically not causing a lot of issues at that level. When it gets up to 60-80 ug/L it’s nuking some SPS.

What should I look for with that company? Which one would you recommend?
OCEAMO ICP-MS. Detection limits on most elements are .05 ug/L or better. Nobody else is getting the same accuracy or consistency with MS. Most don’t even have MS.

If you want to target Ultra Trace like you mentioned above….Fe, Mn, Cr, Cu, Co, Se, Ni, Zn, V, etc…use MS rather than OES. Below 1-2 ug/L…OES is lacking with detection limits/accuracy. Most of the targets for these elements are below 1 ug/L, so you can see what the other analysis is needed.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18.7 ug/L isn’t that high. It’s elevated, but typically not causing a lot of issues at that level. When it gets up to 60-80 ug/L it’s nuking some SPS.

OCEAMO ICP-MS. Detection limits on most elements are .05 ug/L or better. Nobody else is getting the same accuracy or consistency with MS. Most don’t even have MS.

If you want to target Ultra Trace like you mentioned above….Fe, Mn, Cr, Cu, Co, Se, Ni, Zn, V, etc…use MS rather than OES. Below 1-2 ug/L…OES is lacking with detection limits/accuracy. Most of the targets for these elements are below 1 ug/L, so you can see what the other analysis is needed.
Yeah I believe it. Like I said , I didn’t see any negative issues with my systems at all so I wasn’t worried. Just replaced DI resin and did a water change and moved on with life

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I believe it. Like I said , I didn’t see any negative issues with my systems at all so I wasn’t worried. Just replaced DI resin and did a water change and moved on with life
Yeah. I see it coming through exhausted DI filters a lot. I guess people don’t check them often.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I see it coming through exhausted DI filters a lot. I guess people don’t check them often.
Yeah so easily missed when you’re busy with life.
I’ll admit it was laziness on my part. Now I put a reminder in my phone to check these rodi filters (especially particulate and DI) more frequently as I’m on a well. Incoming TDS was over 600 the other day lol

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back