Hitchhiker on zoa plug. Some kind of polyp?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a zoa frag and noticed these hitchhikers on the plug. The pictures are much bluer than the tank apears, i have not mastered taking good cell phone pics with the leds. The apear to be some kind of polyp possibly? They retract when disturbed but i havent been able to get a picture of them closed yet. looks like a translucent off white.

20230212_201625.jpg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a zoa eating Nudibranch. Did you dip them?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a zoa frag and noticed these hitchhikers on the plug. The pictures are much bluer than the tank apears, i have not mastered taking good cell phone pics with the leds. The apear to be some kind of polyp possibly? They retract when disturbed but i havent been able to get a picture of them closed yet. looks like a translucent off white.

20230212_201625.jpg
That’s a colonial tunicate species - harmless filter feeders, but some species can be pretty invasive, so I’d try to keep it isolated.

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a colonial tunicate species - harmless filter feeders, but some species can be pretty invasive, so I’d try to keep it isolated.
We have a winner. Apears to be an exact match after some googling. Both are on a chuck of rock or coral skeleton glued to a Frag plug maybe ill see if i can seperate them sooner tham i planned.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back