Hob protein skimmer for 40 gallon?

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased this fiji cube Aio box for my 40 breeder that im setting up and it has a chamber which seems to be big enough for the icecap nano skimmer. Only thing is, according to the description, it only works well for a 30 gallon. Ive only seen issues with over skimming but idk if "under-skimming" can be an issue?

My stocking plan is only 2 clowns, flameback angel and a juv tomi tang. So not too heavy in bioload.

The skimmer section is measured to be 4.4" x 6.7". Beside that icecap nano that seems to have pretty decent reviews but seems to be a tat too small, do you guys know any other good skimmer what would fit into that chamber?
Many thanks in advance!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty sizeable bioload with both a tang and angel in a 40- I certainly wouldn't scoff at this once you see how much waste that tang produces ;)

For in tank, I'd look at the Tunze 9004. For out of tank, look at the aquamaxx hob 1.5

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Coralife Super Skimmers. I've been running one on my tank. My only gripe is that it's inaccessible to clean the inside manually unless you have a brush or something. The 65 gallon rated skimmer is 4.2x5x5x20.8 inches. You still need to clean it every week. Mine runs for two clowns, a flame angel, and a hippo tang in a 55 gallon system

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty sizeable bioload with both a tang and angel in a 40- I certainly wouldn't scoff at this once you see how much waste that tang produces ;)

For in tank, I'd look at the Tunze 9004. For out of tank, look at the aquamaxx hob 1.5
Hm i didnt think that theyd create such bioload since the angel is only 2 inches rn and the tank is like 2.5 inches . Thanks for pointing that out!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look at a fish's diet and metabolism, not only their size ;)

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer but I don’t think it will fit based off you’re measurements. Fluval PS1 would fit not sure how effective of a skimmer it is though!

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer but I don’t think it will fit based off you’re measurements. Fluval PS1 would fit not sure how effective of a skimmer it is though!
I just look at the aquamaxx, it seems like its a bit too wide for that chamber i have or else itd be a perfect fit. And ill check that fluval out, thanks!

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Coralife Super Skimmers. I've been running one on my tank. My only gripe is that it's inaccessible to clean the inside manually unless you have a brush or something. The 65 gallon rated skimmer is 4.2x5x5x20.8 inches. You still need to clean it every week. Mine runs for two clowns, a flame angel, and a hippo tang in a 55 gallon system
Is that one easy to take apart and clean the inside? I have a hob octopus and its a pain in the butt to clean

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cadlights pls-50 elite 2. It's not well known but it's been working great. I get about a quarter cup of skimmate every 2 days. Not light tea color skimmate but cream color coffee.

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cadlights pls-50 elite 2. It's not well known but it's been working great. I get about a quarter cup of skimmate every 2 days. Not light tea color skimmate but cream color coffee.
Is that skimmer considered a hob? And if you dont mind me asking, how long have you been using it? Is it reliable and easy to clean?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that one easy to take apart and clean the inside? I have a hob octopus and its a pain in the butt to clean
Unfortunately no. Like I said, it's hard to clean the inner chamber where the bubbles come from. The skimmer cup is easy to clean, but it's just the main chamber that's hard to get at.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back