Honestly though, are Radion G5 really better?

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep went back to halide. They aren't going anywhere. Bulbs aren't hard to find actually. Many companies are seeing halide sales go through the roof.

I spoke with Tullio for over 2 hours about it all. Reef Brite has plenty of bulbs and no plans to stop producing their stuff anytime soon. Hamilton is producing as fast as they can to keep up with demand.

Still have reflectors and ballasts out in the garage.

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a G2 XR30 pro on a 32" cube for...........well, since they came out over 10 years ago. I'm still growing every coral I want, including any SPS that falls in the tank. A couple years ago I paired it up with one of the Aquatic Life T-5 Hybrid setups and absolutely love it. A buddy of mine has the same light (without the T-5s) with the same results for the same time. His recently started going out so it makes me think I may be on borrowed time with mine. I'm always leery about changing anything that isn't broken and has such a solid history of being one of the go-to lights for home and industry.So my question is this, Am I going to be happy with the new G5 pro version or should I keep an eye out for a couple used g3 or g4 pros. Or should I change to something else altogether (this is not the route that I want to take but with enough real support I'd consider it)? I think I would like to keep the supplemental T5s because I like the way the cover shadowed areas and even everything out.

Added note: Price is not necessarily an issue, I'd much rather pay more for proven quality than save a few dollars for something that will die a year down the road.
If everything is working out for you with the g2 then I would stick with them. Time and time again we hear stability is key and spending a fortune for new lights might only hurt your wallet

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you went back to Halide? What are you going to do when you cant get bulbs anymore? I wouldn't even be having this conversation if i had a lifetime supply of Radiums
For your information: I personally communicated with Radium manufacturers in Germany and they assured that Radium bulbs will not stop production whatsoever. They are one of the best sellers in Europe. There are lot's of rumors about the subject, but the truth is that many people are actually going back to halides and T5s because of their superior qualities providing the proper light for photosynthetic corals.
Also, Hamilton Technologies is producing lot's of metal halide gear because of the sudden demand lately, per Hamilton. Tullio Del Aquila also published that public aquariums are also abandoning their new LED fixtures and adopting metal halides back. The biologists' first choice is halides to reproduce results close to the ones find in nature.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep went back to halide. They aren't going anywhere. Bulbs aren't hard to find actually. Many companies are seeing halide sales go through the roof.

I spoke with Tullio for over 2 hours about it all. Reef Brite has plenty of bulbs and no plans to stop producing their stuff anytime soon. Hamilton is producing as fast as they can to keep up with demand.
Tullio is the best! He is actually the person who introduced LEDs to this hobby and he is the greatest advocate for halides I know.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tullio is the best! He is actually the person who introduced LEDs to this hobby and he is the greatest advocate for halides I know.
He put them over corals in 2003 in his hotel room lol. All the big names of the day wanted to see this. I think it's in his one MACNA talk.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He put them over corals in 2003 in his hotel room lol. All the big names of the day wanted to see this. I think it's in his one MACNA talk.
Yeah!! LOL! He must be very disappointed and somehow feeling guilty for being the man who stated all this LED stuff! I'm glad he publishes how much more effective halides are in comparison for most applications though.
Also, Sanjay Joshi has published recently his feelings towards the changes to Radions. I've been saying for years that he was going to regret. We just don't know how mch longer he will hold his thoughts and get those 400W Bulbs back to where they belong.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did an interesting upgrade today. Just put new 3D printed light spill shades on my Ecotech Xr30 G5 Radions and what huge difference they make! Big thanks to @chemisfun11 who designed and printed them. Significantly reduces light spread outside of aquarium and reduces almost all glare when viewing aquarium. The light is now focused into the Aquarium and the colors are popping! Will be noting par changes in the future. (Note - Lights also have diffusers.)

8C694695-B1D0-43FA-AEE3-38B65369E7CC.jpeg

E2F700A1-296D-40F3-A897-A5DEDDD51DDB.jpeg

7685E830-DC3A-4B80-A728-E399C8E4814D.jpeg
Wow, that looks awesome where did you get those?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did he publish this? Would be interested to read.

Keep in mind we have many different halide fixtures and wattages available for any application, so halides are also the best for smaller tanks!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That's awesome.........he's very interesting guy and he just gives facts without a bias. I really enjoy hearing him speak about lighting.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's awesome.........he's very interesting guy and he just gives facts without a bias. I really enjoy hearing him speak about lighting.

He is a straight shooter and just uses science to talk about it all. Never once in our conversation did he push halides. He simply talked to me about it all and confirmed what I already knew.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back