Hospital tank

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I think I have a bad case of velvet in my 150 gallon. I lost some of my favorite fish and some are showing signs of distress. I have a hospital tank, its 50 gallons and I have it empty next to my main tank. I just need advice on setting it up, what do I truly need? I was going to take some junk rock from my main tank that I don't care about(like scraps of frags etc) and transfer water from the main tank and then add pvc and move the fish in. Does that seem like a plan? Also when and what should I add for meds? Lastly can I keep my coral and inverts in the display tank until treatment is done? I plan on redoing my aquascape when it is all over.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add any rock to new quarantine, move it 10 feet away to prevent aerosol transmission. Yes you can keep inverts in the tank during the 76 day fallow period.

Sorry for the velvet issue, it’s everywhere right now unfortunately. :(

Grab an ammonia alert badge, some copper power, and a Hanna copper checker. You’ll also want a small HOB filter for the tank, and BioSpira to seed it (or Fritz Turbostart 9000 would be even better).

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Hospital tanks should be pretty simple, you’ll need a power head to get water movement / oxygenate water and a heater. You can use some inert media like seachem matrix or keep the tank bare with some pvc pipes for fish to hide. A plastic jar will work too. A cheap marineland HOB also works just make sure to take out. all carbon from the filter (thanks @HotRocks for the idea!)
I would not use any rocks or sand in a hospital tank as it can soak up the meds. You may want to get some bacteria like biospira or dr tims to jumpstart the biofilter and the seachem Ammonia badge which will alert you to ammonia issues.

If treating with copper, get to the therapeutic dose right away given its velvet. Here’s a link with more info on how to treat:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my best guess is velvet... Even rock I plan on throwing out anyway? like little pieces that are at the sandbed, some rock some shells etc? I am just wondering how to move my good bacteria to the hospital tank.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but I believe it would be best to start it with fresh RO salt water and match your main tanks SG. I wouldn't use any live rock even if you don't care about it. Just use some PVC fittings. A Hang on back filter and LOTS of aeration and surface agitation. Keeping ammonia at bay can be achieved through water changes. Hopefully someone else will come in here as well. Good luck

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my best guess is velvet... Even rock I plan on throwing out anyway? like little pieces that are at the sandbed, some rock some shells etc? I am just wondering how to move my good bacteria to the hospital tank.

Yeah unfortunately, rocks can adsorb copper and make it tough to maintain the therapeutic dose. How many fish you have? In a 50g unless it’s ovwrcrowded you should be fine if you add some bacteria. Make sure not to add any of the ammonia detoxifiers if you use copper to treat.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do with my display tank? Keep feeding it? What about water changes in the DT?

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately, rocks can adsorb copper and make it tough to maintain the therapeutic dose. How many fish you have? In a 50g unless it’s ovwrcrowded you should be fine if you add some bacteria. Make sure not to add any of the ammonia detoxifiers if you use copper to treat.
I have about 15 fish left. The larger ones are a Cow Fish, a few decent size tangs, some chorus wrasses and a few antheis, chromus and clowns.(sorry about the spelling)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do with my display tank? Keep feeding it? What about water changes in the DT?

Keep your DT fallow. If you keep corals continue maintaining water parameters. You can’t have any fish in, inverts are fine. If it’s a fish only tank then no need to worry much about water. Bacteria will survive, you can drop a few pellets of food every once in a while.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can use water from my display tank or should I avoid it?

Ideally you’d want to use new water but could recycle to fill it up if you don’t have enough ready. Just make sure to medicate ASAP if it’s velvet, time is not on your side.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you’d want to use new water but could recycle to fill it up if you don’t have enough ready. Just make sure to medicate ASAP if it’s velvet, time is not on your side.
OK I think I have enough ready, I am just really nervous about a new cycle happening since I don't have any bacteria in the hospital tank. Maybe I am over reacting.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have biospira or dr Tim’s or Some other bacteria in a bottle? Ive had very good success in emergency treatmemt situations with those. Also, helps if you can monitor ammonia and be ready to make water changes. Don’t overfeed first few days.

If you have a Hanna checker and can test water a few times you could use some rock. The key is maintaining the right dose, without the Hanna checker that becomes difficult. Again in a 50gal you should have some time before ammonia accumulates.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have biospira or dr Tim’s or Some other bacteria in a bottle? Ive had very good success in emergency treatmemt situations with those. Also, helps if you can monitor ammonia and be ready to make water changes. Don’t overfeed first few days.

If you have a Hanna checker and can test water a few times you could use some rock. The key is maintaining the right dose, without the Hanna checker that becomes difficult. Again in a 50gal you should have some time before ammonia accumulates.
I will pick up some more biospira tomorrow along with some premade saltwater so I can add it to the 30 gallons I already have made. I have a black sponge type filter in my sump, maybe I can put that in too.

Back