How bad is hyper-melanization in the long term?

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though there's a juicy BTA available my clownfish generally prefer to be hosted by my euphyllia.
The female spends about 50% of the time in the BTA but the male is always hanging out in the euphyllia.

Due to living in the coral rather than the anemone they've been afflicted by some hyper-melanization on and off for the last six months or so.

They seem perfectly happy and healthy besides having black spots so i'm not overly worried, however on Humble.fish i've read that in some cases this can be fatal.
Since it's been going on for a while now i was wondering if their mucus coat will ever get used to the coral stings and wether or not i should worry if this goes on long term.

Could anyone with more reefing experience advise?

20230930_202017.jpg 20230930_201959.jpg

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male went through this, and eventually just turned black with an orange face. These clowns are my oldest fish and probably the only ones I don’t watch for issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Even though there's a juicy BTA available my clownfish generally prefer to be hosted by my euphyllia.
The female spends about 50% of the time in the BTA but the male is always hanging out in the euphyllia.

Due to living in the coral rather than the anemone they've been afflicted by some hyper-melanization on and off for the last six months or so.

They seem perfectly happy and healthy besides having black spots so i'm not overly worried, however on Humble.fish i've read that in some cases this can be fatal.
Since it's been going on for a while now i was wondering if their mucus coat will ever get used to the coral stings and wether or not i should worry if this goes on long term.

Could anyone with more reefing experience advise?

20230930_202017.jpg 20230930_201959.jpg
hyper-melanization really is not unless continuous which will or may cause skin issues which are treatable. Thye black spots are pigment and harmless and will subside on their own.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%

Back