How big does it have to be?

dreamsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven’t started my tank—too many life events!

The space I have now would work nicely for a 20 gallon tank. The feeling I get reading this site is that no saltwater setup could work in so little space, sort of like it wouldn’t be healthy for an elephant to live in a 1-car garage. Is that right, or do people just like having more more more?

What I want are some cool-looking coral, different sizes & shapes, maybe a fish or two with fins & a tail, but those are much less interesting than other animals, imo. I might want some tiny fish that swim in schools, like one organism, but really, the focus would be on stuff that most of us can’t name readily, because I think that’s cooler.

One other thing—I’d like it to be it’s own eco system as much as possible.

Is that ever going to work?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No such thing as too small. I’m going big but in the meantime setting up a 15g cube with a pair of clowns and some friends for my grandson.

Check this out plus WWC often posting about their pico tanks.

Jake has an entire series on this build with last update I think around the two year mark.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven’t started my tank—too many life events!

The space I have now would work nicely for a 20 gallon tank. The feeling I get reading this site is that no saltwater setup could work in so little space, sort of like it wouldn’t be healthy for an elephant to live in a 1-car garage. Is that right, or do people just like having more more more?

What I want are some cool-looking coral, different sizes & shapes, maybe a fish or two with fins & a tail, but those are much less interesting than other animals, imo. I might want some tiny fish that swim in schools, like one organism, but really, the focus would be on stuff that most of us can’t name readily, because I think that’s cooler.

One other thing—I’d like it to be it’s own eco system as much as possible.

Is that ever going to work?
A 20 gallon is perfectly fine for a tank - a lot of people just like to fit bigger/more active fish in their tanks, so bigger tanks are needed.

You could definitely keep corals with a small fish or two (you could probably keep a few more if you go with really small fish like Eviota or Trimma gobies).

Depending on the species you want, you can basically setup a tank that just needs fed (setting up a tank that doesn't need fed is theoretically possible with fish, but would be exponentially more difficult to setup and keep in balance; you may be able to skip the feeding if you don't keep any fish, but you may need to dose nutrients for corals instead at that point) and occasionally maintained (topping off with freshwater, keeping nutrients in check, making sure the glass is clean enough to see through, making the sure the equipment keeping the tank alive still works, etc.).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 3 year old 15 gallon reef. If you can’t have the tank you want , love the one you have. lol

IronJocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller is harder because if it is going to crash it crashes faster and you are less likely to save anything.More water more time to see problems before they chase die off.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back