How close to space zoas?

Shaggymc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

so I went a bit overboard at an auction, and picked up 7 new types of zoas.

these will join my 5 other zoas in my BioCube, ideally on one rock. Lol

how close can I put them together? Will they live in piece or will it be zoa gang wars?

thanks!
Shaggy

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have... way to many zoas in my tank. I usually give them an inch or two separation, but I find they can all grow/spread at vastly different rates. I have several colonies that overlap and expand where there's room and some colonies that all insist on trying to occupy the same real estate. I've yet to see any zoas or palys kill the other off - more like they just crowd one frag out and limit its ability to expand.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on breed (some go faster than others) and frag size. If you want each one to have some good space before competing, definitely go far away from each other, but if that doesn’t matter and you want to build a small garden fast, put them close.
So far with my zoas and palys, most have been planted in different corners of the tank. Others right by, but still a good few inches to allow colonies to spread. Nobodies grown over each other yet, but they will in time.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

so I went a bit overboard at an auction, and picked up 7 new types of zoas.

these will join my 5 other zoas in my BioCube, ideally on one rock. Lol

how close can I put them together? Will they live in piece or will it be zoa gang wars?

thanks!
Shaggy
I would say try to leave at least 2” around each frag plug for grow out. Some will grow faster and some slower. No hard or fast rules, but usually the more rare and expensive the slower they grow! Ha!

Some zoas will fight, but it may not be visible to you. They may just grow slower and be overtaken in my experience.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back