How do I dose amino acids for LPS correctly?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some Korallin-Zucht LPS amino acid and want to make sure I use it properly. I’ve read that the recommended dose on amino acids can run high, that algae can be an issue, and that there are better times to dose than others. Also, should you turn off the skimmer after dosing? Finally, if you only have a few corals, should the dose be lower? The recommended dose for KZ is 1ml/50g. I have a 40g breeder with two acan colonies, some zoas, and some rock anemones. I also feed reef roids about once a week. Any help is greatly appreciated! I always like to to a ton of research before making any changes. Thanks!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could always start with doing the half recommended dose for a while and see how things go?
My understanding is to stop skimming after dosing aminos. I have heard all sorts of time frames though

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could always start with doing the half recommended dose for a while and see how things go?
My understanding is to stop skimming after dosing aminos. I have heard all sorts of time frames though
Thanks! The company says you don’t have to stop skimming but I trust R2R more! I went ahead and dosed half and I’ll keep an eye on things.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much start at a half of the recommended dose for almost any additive product. It's better to err on the side of caution than risk overdosing your tank. I typically broadcast a half-dose of Brightwell's Coral Aminos and turn the skimmer off for about an hour or two.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much start at a half of the recommended dose for almost any additive product. It's better to err on the side of caution than risk overdosing your tank. I typically broadcast a half-dose of Brightwell's Coral Aminos and turn the skimmer off for about an hour or two.
Thanks! Do amino acids raise nitrates or phosphates?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question. If I only have a few corals, should I target dose them or broadcast dose? I’m currently dosing half the recommended amount.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I'm adding fine particulates like reef roids, amino acids, phyto, etc I tend to broadcast feed and turn off the skimmer for a couple of hours. When I'm feeding larger, meatier foods like LRS Reef Frenzy or PE Mysis I will target feed while all flow is off entirely (powerheads and return pump). You can absolutely target feed aminos, reef roids, etc though. I used to do that pretty consistently but have slacked off a bit.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I'm adding fine particulates like reef roids, amino acids, phyto, etc I tend to broadcast feed and turn off the skimmer for a couple of hours. When I'm feeding larger, meatier foods like LRS Reef Frenzy or PE Mysis I will target feed while all flow is off entirely (powerheads and return pump). You can absolutely target feed aminos, reef roids, etc though. I used to do that pretty consistently but have slacked off a bit.
Thanks! Did you have any algae problems when you dosed?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Did you have any algae problems when you dosed?

I think sometimes the brown film on the glass appears more frequently when I'm consistently dosing aminos but I can't confirm that's the cause, just a guess based on anecdotal evidence.

I think the potential for excess nutrients and/or algae from dosing additives is going to vary depending on your tank's biomass. The dosing guidelines on these things are typically based on water volume, but coral biomass can vary greatly from tank to tank, even if they're the same water volume. So one tank with a larger amount of corals will uptake the additives much faster than a tank with a smaller amount of corals.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sometimes the brown film on the glass appears more frequently when I'm consistently dosing aminos but I can't confirm that's the cause, just a guess based on anecdotal evidence.

I think the potential for excess nutrients and/or algae from dosing additives is going to vary depending on your tank's biomass. The dosing guidelines on these things are typically based on water volume, but coral biomass can vary greatly from tank to tank, even if they're the same water volume. So one tank with a larger amount of corals will uptake the additives much faster than a tank with a smaller amount of corals.
oh 100% brown film comes with amino acids i cant agree with this for sure

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back