How do I figure out daily dosing levels?

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to take a sample to your LFS and have them test your Alk for you before you go crazy with dosing. The worst thing you can do is start changing your parameters drastically. Your coral look good in the picture and that leads me to believe your test results are off.
Whoa. That tank looks oddly clean. How old is it? There’s barely a spec of anything anywhere.

I’m not a chemist by any stretch, and I’m sure Dr. Holmes-Farley will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it could be possible to have your saltwater at 2.5 dKH with anything alive….or if it’s chemically possible to have a proper SG and alkalinity that low.

The worst batch of salt I’ve had still mixed to 6 dKH at 1.025.
My advice is to take a sample to your LFS and have them test your Alk for you before you go crazy with dosing. The worst thing you can do is start changing your parameters drastically. Your coral look good in the picture and that leads me to believe your test results are off.

yeh i’m an idiot. i was reading the wrong column. i had a reading of 5dkh, not 2.5.

i bumped it upto 6dkh over a 24hr period, so nothing drastic. but i will remember this as a lesson.

the tank is 9weeks old. low bio load. keeping nitrates between 5-15 and phos .05- .2

melbournedan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa. That tank looks oddly clean. How old is it? There’s barely a spec of anything anywhere.

I’m not a chemist by any stretch, and I’m sure Dr. Holmes-Farley will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it could be possible to have your saltwater at 2.5 dKH with anything alive….or if it’s chemically possible to have a proper SG and alkalinity that low.

The worst batch of salt I’ve had still mixed to 6 dKH at 1.025.
ive had reef tanks before with only water changes, this if the first time i’ve looked into keeping a higher nutrient level, which also means cutting down on water changes but watching the other elements pretty closely.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back