How do you maintain a Hospital Tank?

ihateSpirorbids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have dedicated hospital tanks to quarantine fish, but long term, how do you guys maintain one?

Is it:

1) Always maintain an empty Hospital tank 24/7 in case one day you need to to use. ie, FULL systems running: Filters running, water changes, maybe one or two hardy fish to keep it constantly going

OR

2) Set up one when only when you need it. ie, when buying new fish, or if current fish in main tank needs isolation, set up a hospital tank immediately.

I understand (1), since it's basically another fish tank but with bare-minimum decorations, etc. But for (2), if you need to treat fish for like 1-2 weeks, how do you maintain filtration capacity / waste management (esp since it takes a month to get the nitrifying bacteria to regrow again)? Or do you just do 50% water changes every day?

What strategies do you guys use for maintaining a Hospital tank?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just start up a new tank when I needed one.

Especially since I treated with copper, I'd start clean. BioSpira and marinepure media is what I'd seed with.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last couple years, I've had a 36 bowfront that I keep running as an empty quarantine. But, it doesn't have most of the things you listed. The only filter is an air driven sponge filter and an old maxi jet in one corner. I don't do water changes unless I'm emptying the tank to get rid of meds. I don't keep any fish in it unless I'm QTing one.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually restart each time and keep tank dry in between.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I set it up when I need it. Keeping a quarantine tank at all times is unnecessary if you are not a breeder or fish store. It takes up space and creates unnecessary extra work to maintain it with no life inside.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have dedicated hospital tanks to quarantine fish, but long term, how do you guys maintain one?

Is it:

1) Always maintain an empty Hospital tank 24/7 in case one day you need to to use. ie, FULL systems running: Filters running, water changes, maybe one or two hardy fish to keep it constantly going

OR

2) Set up one when only when you need it. ie, when buying new fish, or if current fish in main tank needs isolation, set up a hospital tank immediately.

I understand (1), since it's basically another fish tank but with bare-minimum decorations, etc. But for (2), if you need to treat fish for like 1-2 weeks, how do you maintain filtration capacity / waste management (esp since it takes a month to get the nitrifying bacteria to regrow again)? Or do you just do 50% water changes every day?

I use option one for QT corals

And

option two with a bottle of biospira for QT fish.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 10g cheapies for quarantine and observation, they stay dry and covered if I'm not expecting anything, and the second I order something wet, I fill and filter.

Each tank has it's own 'accessory kit' that gets sanitized after every use. A hang on back filter, 3" and 4" PVC for a 'fish hide', and a heater.

One has a label on the rim and the accessory box that says "Copper", meaning that kit and that tank have been exposed to copper and inverts cannot go in it.

There's an old frag rack I bought from vetteguy ages ago for the 'never copper' tank's kit as well. Need to replace it someday.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it:

OR

Are you talking about a hospital tank or a qt tank? I learned it in separate ways, I had many doubts for years about the qt tanks, but later I learned to manage it separately: qt tanks for observation and retention of newly acquired fish, it's a tank that always works, if there are problems it's removed at fish and put in hospital tank, leave fallow or restart qt tank, always keep enough biological material by stocking inside the sump on the dt. I set up the hospital tank if there is any disease problem or something suspicious, ammonia and fish waste are controlled daily, for as long as necessary. Currently I just cured an Eibli angelfish from bacterial problems, he is a normal and gluttonous guy again.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Is it:

I have a 20 gallon tank and a 29 gallon tank I can set up.
I have a heater, small powerhead, small backfilter and some larger pvc fittings I keep ready.
I also keep a 6" diameter air powered sponge filter running in the sump of my 240 all the time.
So all I have to do is mix up some new saltwater and I have a instant quarantine tank.

I have not added any new fish in over 2 years so maintaining a running qt system doesn't make sense.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding my bit of advice The best way to maintain an aquarium hospital tank is to use filtered water, keep the temperature consistent, and disinfect items before putting them in the tank. Additionally monitor the tank’s water chemistry and change it out when necessary. Lastly, keep the tank clean by cleaning all surfaces regularly and cleaning any spilled food or waste promptly.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep extra sponges for my sponge filter in my sump. When I need a QT tank, fill the tank get it running and to temp, add the sponge to the filter.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine running all the time. Never know when I might pick something up at the LFS. When I do water changes, the water from my display, changes the water in my Quarantine Aquarium. So other than the Heater, set to 72, HOB, and minimal light, very little cost to operate.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always running, but I’m also in the process of adding fish. Once the tank is fully stocked and I’m confident everyone is healthy, I will likely break it down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back