How do you prep and ship your frags to friends?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting to a place where I want to send out some frags of my overgrown corals to friendlies, and I'm wondering what everyone else does to ensure (1) safe shipment, (2) reliable + cost-effective shipper, (3) packaging, etc.

I have received frags in all sorts of bags and holders. Sometimes they are cut into a jello-shot cup, sometimes free. Sometimes in bags that are double bagged and clamped shut, sometimes in bags that have been heat-sealed. Most of the time, they come with a pocket heat pack taped to the cooler lid.

I'm thinking:
1. jellow-shot cup with cross cut into bottom to stick in frag plug stem
2. heat seal poly bag inside of another heat seal poly bag
3. bag half full of new SW + frag
4. packed in styrofoam cooler
5. heat pack taped to lid of cooler

For shipping soft corals like zoas, shrooms, leathers, overnight or 2-day? Probably overnight, right? UPS?

Thanks!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or tell them to pick them up at the coral farmers market in two weeks. BTW if you want the pink napthea I can bring it then.
Don't think Stang is coming to our CFM from Ohio!
Speaking of pink Nepthea, look what happened to those teeny branches that I salvaged from the melting colony:
PXL_20240208_190417441.jpg

Four pieces coming back pretty strong!
PXL_20240208_190417441~2.jpg

Didn't you have pink branching cyphastrea? CFM might be a good place to meet up. Anything you like in my tank that's fraggable before then?

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three words:

Urine
Specimen
Cups

(just search on Amazon)

I sent a dozen frags 2-day air from Maryland to Oregon, and everything survived just fine and nothing leaked. If you’re going to do this, I recommend waiting until spring or fall so that temps are a bit less extreme (though I acknowledge that cargo holds of airplanes are not climate controlled). Re-use a styrofoam shipping container if you’ve ever bought coral online, and you’ll be good to go!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three words:

Urine
Specimen
Cups

(just search on Amazon)

I sent a dozen frags 2-day air from Maryland to Oregon, and everything survived just fine and nothing leaked. If you’re going to do this, I recommend waiting until spring or fall so that temps are a bit less extreme (though I acknowledge that cargo holds of airplanes are not climate controlled). Re-use a styrofoam shipping container if you’ve ever bought coral online, and you’ll be good to go!
I have those for passing around frags locally! Hiw well do they work in shipment? Do they not leak? Perhaps a few wraps of parafilm around the lid?

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a specimen cup and make these plastic holders that secures the frag so it doesn’t bounce around. You can also use them in bags as well

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a specimen cup and make these plastic holders that secures the frag so it doesn’t bounce around. You can also use them in bags as well
Are you 3d printing the holders or is it something easy like egg crate?

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those for passing around frags locally! Hiw well do they work in shipment? Do they not leak? Perhaps a few wraps of parafilm around the lid?
I mean, if you buy higher quality ones, the kind that come with a sterility seal to begin with, they really shouldn’t leak. I mean, that’s kind of their only purpose beyond holding urine, so they can be trusted. That said, for an extra layer of protection, just put each cup inside a high-quality zip-loc bag, then put all inside a giant zip-loc before you seal up the box.

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you 3d printing the holders or is it something easy like egg crate?
I 3d print them. They print pretty fast and are easy to do. But I imagine you can come up with something out of egg crate too if you have it around. Also if you want a few just to ship out some frags to friends. I could probably help ya out.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of pink Nepthea, look what happened to those teeny branches that I salvaged from the melting colony:

Didn't you have pink branching cyphastrea? CFM might be a good place to meet up. Anything you like in my tank that's fraggable before then?
Yes, I can cut you a frag of that. Did you want it on a plug or a real reef rock rubble or just cut. If you want the pink Kenya still it is yours, it is about 6+"
As far as coral from you, I'm all good for now. I still have to finish my frag tank and my main DT I still have corals I still haven’t planted. Do you need a piece of german blue digitata?
IMG_1814.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @JoJosReef if you would like some of those Styrofoam boxes inside of cardboard boxes that medicine is shipped in, I can drop off of few to you. They are about 12"x12"x9". I have a bunch and end up just throwing them out.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what I have still in the warehouse tomorrow and let you know! I'm not planning on shipping much, just a few friendlies on R2R. Everyone in our area can pick up easy enough!
Hey @JoJosReef if you would like some of those Styrofoam boxes inside of cardboard boxes that medicine is shipped in, I can drop off of few to you. They are about 12"x12"x9". I have a bunch and end up just throwing them out.

ashtonnnnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love ur tank!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can cut you a frag of that. Did you want it on a plug or a real reef rock rubble or just cut. If you want the pink Kenya still it is yours, it is about 6+"
As far as coral from you, I'm all good for now. I still have to finish my frag tank and my main DT I still have corals I still haven’t planted. Do you need a piece of german blue digitata?
IMG_1814.jpeg
That pink cyphastrea is one of my favorites! Unmounted is best. Is the blue digi the one that has the metallic-looking polyps? I've also been looking for that but a guy who had one growing said his colony crashed.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pink cyphastrea is one of my favorites! Unmounted is best. Is the blue digi the one that has the metallic-looking polyps? I've also been looking for that but a guy who had one growing said his colony crashed.
It is sort of a redish base with blue polyps. Here is a picture of the frag. It is more blue in real life. If you want I can get you a chunk of that.
IMG_1841.jpeg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sort of a redish base with blue polyps. Here is a picture of the frag. It is more blue in real life. If you want I can get you a chunk of that.
IMG_1841.jpeg
Oh yes, for sure. I'm finding montis to be the sweet spot for SPS in my mixed reef. Good growth, colors and shapes. Only the hardiest acros will make it since I want to keep the LPS and softies happy. I think the cyphastrea and the monti will finish my sticks. The nepthea is staging a comeback, so that'll fill in my spot for tree-like softies. If you think of anything I can bring you to CFM, let me know!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1814.jpeg
Did you need a bit of the pink birdsnest that is in the upper right? a bit got knocked off last night. Slow grower

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you need a bit of the pink birdsnest that is in the upper right? a bit got knocked off last night. Slow grower
I can try. If it is like the teal one I have, should grow well. Do you know what time you'll be at CFM yet? Also, my RBTA split in case you need a nice nem. Still waiting on the black widow to split.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back