How do you start and care for a reef tank?

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 25 gallon tank that has been running for almost a year and would like to add some coral but I;am completely lost on where to start. My tank has 2 clowns 1 banggai cardinal 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and live rock . My water parameters are temp78-sg 1.022-ammonia 0ppm-nirite 0ppm-nitrate 20ppm. I know my sg is low for coral what would be the best way to raise to 1.025? My filter is a hob. I have been looking on the internet for info on how to care for coral but get more confused. What kind of lighting would you suggest for a reef tank. I just don;t want to wast money by rushing into it. Thanks.

oscarinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For corals you want to monitor and maintain Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium on top of everything you do currently. In order to do that, first decide on a method to introduce those to the water. Reactors, 2 part, reef salt with frequent water changes are some of your alternatives. Then, get the testing supplies. Start testing every week. Achieve constant levels and then add your corals. For lighting, at the same time, for a 25 gallon aquarium, you might want to consider a hydrid T5 and LED fixture. There are several brands. On that, it will depend on exactly what you would like to keep. Once you get your light and your levels of Ca, Kh and Mg are consistent, it will be time for a trip to the LFS for some corals...

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also read the article How to setup a reef tank. Top left corner in the navigation section on the home page.

Last edited:

russo36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise your salinity ... Just add some fresh salt mixed water when your water evaporates... Instead of using fresh water for top off... Mix the salt to your current salinity and it should start climbing up slowly... Don't do it too fast as it may not be good for your live stock. If you get a good sea salt it will have mostly everything you need in it.. I personally use instant ocean and is working good so far... Hope this helps

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, first off WELCOME aboard and for your 25g DT to be set for Coral you just need to have good lighting like LED's (high intensity and low heat output) and water flow. You should not need to do any dosing in such a small water volume (more disasters than positives here). Having a regular WC schedule will safely replenish all needed elements ie; Weekly or Bi-Monthly = 5 gallons which is easily done with a couple 5g old Salt buckets spare heater and small powerhead.

Cheers, Todd

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of what everyone is saying, each coral type (SPS,LPS, softies etc.) each have different requirements. Some need more lighting, more stable water conditions, more water flow, etc. You should really sit down and think about what type of corals you hope to achieve then do some research on them. I would personally advise you to stay away from SPS as your first coral. Leather corals, zoas, GSP, and euphylias are great starter coral!

OP
OP
C

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at mushrooms they sound like good starter coral. I currently have a hood with 2 t-5 bulbs would that be good for mushrooms or do I need to upgrade to t-5 HO?

Thereeferboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of what everyone is saying, each coral type (SPS,LPS, softies etc.) each have different requirements. Some need more lighting, more stable water conditions, more water flow, etc. You should really sit down and think about what type of corals you hope to achieve then do some research on them. I would personally advise you to stay away from SPS as your first coral. Leather corals, zoas, GSP, and euphylias are great starter coral!

+1 you need to figure out what kind of corals you want in your tank before you start figuring out what kind of lights you will need, they make some pretty inexpensive Chinese LEDs now days you should look into that, but I would look into filtration first since you already have lights at the moment.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back