How high is too high?

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 10.44.49 AM.png

I just recalibrated my Apex PH probe and, to my surprise, the PH of the tank is higher that I thought. My daily PH swings are consistently between 8.2 and 8.5 (I dose alk at night and have my sump light on at night to minimize the swings).

Most articles recommend a PH of between 8.1 and 8.4. Is the fact that I'm seeing 8.5 a problem? What are the ramifications of a high PH? At what level should I be concerned?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramifications of too high pH would be precipitation of calcium carbonate. If you aren't seeing that, than you most likely are fine.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, high pH is not a concern until it gets to 8.6 or higher. If it is above pH 8.5, more aeration will lower it unless the alk is above 12 dKH.
Thanks Randy. My Alk is in the 8.5 - 9.0 range, so I think I'll be OK.

As for aeration, I'm confused by what you said. I thought aeration drives CO2 out of the water, which reduces dissolved CO2 and carbonic acid, resulting in a higher PH.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramifications of too high pH would be precipitation of calcium carbonate. If you aren't seeing that, than you most likely are fine.
How do I see if I am getting precipitation of calcium carbonate? I do get some clumping of my sand. I periodically break it up by hand. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back