How I did eradicate AEFW from my system. A story to tell.

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am here today to share my experience. Let me first give you a small intro to my system.

My tank volume is around 350 gallons. I following triton other method and I do ICP test on a monthly basis. The tank is stacked with SPS and mostly acros. Everything is controlled by the apex system.

In late 2019 I discovered AEFW in the system but it was still slightly infected. I started dosing Flatworm Stop and Coral Booster from ziovit, AEFW-X from Fauna Marine, Increased the number of wrasse fish (up to 15 ones), and blew flatworm using a small powerhead. This kept them in check but did not solve the issue. But as a perfectionist, I can't sleep if there is something wrong in front of me and do nothing.

I decided to remove the corals and dip them and send them back to the system again as I did not have a quarantine system at that time.

20201102_195659.jpg

After consulting other reefers and reading online about reefers battling AEFW, I decided to take out all the acros and quarantine them for 2 months so any flatworm in the tank will starve and die. I build a 90 gallons system and moved the acros there. At the same time, the acros in the QT were having two times dip sessions every week. I was alternating between bayer, coral RX and revive. After finishing the course, I moved the acros back to the main tank and continued dosing FLatworm Stop, Coral booster, and AEFWX as prevention measures with close monitoring.

20210106_231501.jpg

20210103_234009.jpg

Unfortunately, a few weeks later I saw some bite marks, and the AEFW was confirmed still in the system... Time for PLAN B

I thought this time, I will change the aquascape using a new "DRY ROCK" and throw away the old rocks. Again, I moved the acros to the QT tank and build a new aquascape and let it cycle for two months. At the same same time, I repeated the same steps in PLAN A. I dipped the acros and I was pretty sure before I moved the acros to the main system that they were clean. But unfortunately, after 1 month I discovered bite marks, and the stubborn worms were confirmed still in the system. I am not sure how they come back every time!!!!. I assumed they go into the hibernating mode to preserve themselves or anything like this.

As last resort, I decided to lower the temp to the level known that they will not survive or the eggs will not be hatched. And in order for me to do this, I need a reliable chiller. here comes PLAN C. So I upgraded my chiller as the one I am using is rated for 320 gallons. I got a second-hand chiller that is capable to cool double the size of my tank volume. After changing the chiller, Something happened that I was not aware of which is in my opinion what eradicated the AEFW. I'll come to this later. I took my time lowering the temp. Over the period of one month, I lowered the temp from 24 to 18. I also continued dosing Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster, and AEFWX at the same time. I cut the feeding portions to 1/4 to force the fish to hunt the worms. I was Also blown flatworm using a small powerhead. All the fish were acting normal and no sign of cold water stress. On the other hand, snails strangely were dying!! Corals were stressed as well like polyps were not extended as before and some of the SPS's colors started to fade away. Turning white slowly until they bleached completely (not STN). Other SPS died fast (RTN).

Photo des: Fading colors losing life in one month.

IMG-20210829-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20211024-WA0086.jpg

IMG-20211107-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20211107-WA0040.jpg

At this point, I knew that there is something wrong but I couldn't figure it out. How could only the snails die before anything else? Why do some corals die and other is still cooping with everything!! I thought this could be from the AEFWX so I stopped it. But no improvements happened. Then I thought this could be the effects of the low temp and started to raise it slowly. I got it high to 24 in two weeks but there is no sign of SPS recovery as well. The dkh consumption declined big time since then and it didn't recover after raising the temperature. I thought maybe I pushed it harder and hit the point of no return. The next ICP test showed all numbers are within the acceptable range and no serious issues. Meanwhile, I was searching the internet for the cause and found similar symptoms reported due to bacterial infection. which lead me to the AquaBiomics testing and consider doing one to help me understand what is going wrong and why corals are not recovering. I started to read more about it and even communicated with the lab as I have my questions.

Past forward a few days and while doing the tank routine inspection, I got electrocuted while checking the filter socks. It was a hard one. Usually, I wear high sleeves rubber gloves before I touch the water to avoid any chemical contamination but this time I was just checking here and there with no plan to touch the water. This made me realize that there is a stray volt in my system. I troubled to shoot it and discovered the source. It was the chiller. I ground it and solve the issue in 5 minutes.

After this, It became clear to me know what killed the snails and stresses the corals. It was the stray volt. After one week the corals showed a huge improvement. After 3 months, all corals are happy and the dkh consumption is now gone up high again and even exceeded the old numbers.

Stressed Coral (due to stray volt)

20220407_005525.jpg

Same one after one month of Fixing the Current leak issue

Screenshot_20220407-005447_Gallery.jpg

Corals have never been happier.

20220407_005541.jpg

AAAND Guess what!! No sign of any AEFW since then.

Could it be the temperature? The stray volt? The medications? The hungry fish? Could it be either one or all of them? I think it is the stray volt more than anything else. but I could be wrong here!! I just wanted to share this experience with everyone and hopefully, it will help you..

Regards 20210103_234009.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how much current was leaking from the chiller? I am wondering how to reproduce that part of the treatment, and posting that question here because someone will come along who can answer these. :)

Thanks for an interesting medicinal post for AEFW treatment.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing ! , years back I had a similar situation without the flat worm issue and I started to lose coral and inverts in one of the smaller tanks I had at the time . If not for a previous but semi healed cut on my finger I would have probably not have figured it out till way too late . My issue was a faulty heater throwing stray current ,which also taught me a valuable lesson about protecting myself from getting Fried even though all my equipment in that tank was fairly new . Every tank now has protected circuits and a grounding probe hooked up .

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how much current was leaking from the chiller? I am wondering how to reproduce that part of the treatment, and posting that question here because someone will come along who can answer these. :)

Thanks for an interesting medicinal post for AEFW treatment.
Volt meter said 12V but a friend of mine told me that there is no way the chiller will do 12V!! The 12V will give you a goosebumps but the leak in my tank made me brake dance lol.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up.
A bit out of context, but allow me to ask; where do you get your corals from?
I also live in the UAE.

Last edited:

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you went through the same scenario about 10 years ago. For (14) weeks, I removed every acro frag and colony from our system and dipped them in I think it was Revive. Eggs were scraped off each piece as they surfaced. After that time there was no sign of them. It's was a grueling process that was worth it in the end IMO...
bsa

Subonidio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am here today to share my experience. Let me first give you a small intro to my system.

My tank volume is around 350 gallons. I following triton other method and I do ICP test on a monthly basis. The tank is stacked with SPS and mostly acros. Everything is controlled by the apex system.

In late 2019 I discovered AEFW in the system but it was still slightly infected. I started dosing Flatworm Stop and Coral Booster from ziovit, AEFW-X from Fauna Marine, Increased the number of wrasse fish (up to 15 ones), and blew flatworm using a small powerhead. This kept them in check but did not solve the issue. But as a perfectionist, I can't sleep if there is something wrong in front of me and do nothing.

I decided to remove the corals and dip them and send them back to the system again as I did not have a quarantine system at that time.

20201102_195659.jpg

After consulting other reefers and reading online about reefers battling AEFW, I decided to take out all the acros and quarantine them for 2 months so any flatworm in the tank will starve and die. I build a 90 gallons system and moved the acros there. At the same time, the acros in the QT were having two times dip sessions every week. I was alternating between bayer, coral RX and revive. After finishing the course, I moved the acros back to the main tank and continued dosing FLatworm Stop, Coral booster, and AEFWX as prevention measures with close monitoring.

20210106_231501.jpg

20210103_234009.jpg

Unfortunately, a few weeks later I saw some bite marks, and the AEFW was confirmed still in the system... Time for PLAN B

I thought this time, I will change the aquascape using a new "DRY ROCK" and throw away the old rocks. Again, I moved the acros to the QT tank and build a new aquascape and let it cycle for two months. At the same same time, I repeated the same steps in PLAN A. I dipped the acros and I was pretty sure before I moved the acros to the main system that they were clean. But unfortunately, after 1 month I discovered bite marks, and the stubborn worms were confirmed still in the system. I am not sure how they come back every time!!!!. I assumed they go into the hibernating mode to preserve themselves or anything like this.

As last resort, I decided to lower the temp to the level known that they will not survive or the eggs will not be hatched. And in order for me to do this, I need a reliable chiller. here comes PLAN C. So I upgraded my chiller as the one I am using is rated for 320 gallons. I got a second-hand chiller that is capable to cool double the size of my tank volume. After changing the chiller, Something happened that I was not aware of which is in my opinion what eradicated the AEFW. I'll come to this later. I took my time lowering the temp. Over the period of one month, I lowered the temp from 24 to 18. I also continued dosing Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster, and AEFWX at the same time. I cut the feeding portions to 1/4 to force the fish to hunt the worms. I was Also blown flatworm using a small powerhead. All the fish were acting normal and no sign of cold water stress. On the other hand, snails strangely were dying!! Corals were stressed as well like polyps were not extended as before and some of the SPS's colors started to fade away. Turning white slowly until they bleached completely (not STN). Other SPS died fast (RTN).

Photo des: Fading colors losing life in one month.

IMG-20210829-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20211024-WA0086.jpg

IMG-20211107-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20211107-WA0040.jpg

At this point, I knew that there is something wrong but I couldn't figure it out. How could only the snails die before anything else? Why do some corals die and other is still cooping with everything!! I thought this could be from the AEFWX so I stopped it. But no improvements happened. Then I thought this could be the effects of the low temp and started to raise it slowly. I got it high to 24 in two weeks but there is no sign of SPS recovery as well. The dkh consumption declined big time since then and it didn't recover after raising the temperature. I thought maybe I pushed it harder and hit the point of no return. The next ICP test showed all numbers are within the acceptable range and no serious issues. Meanwhile, I was searching the internet for the cause and found similar symptoms reported due to bacterial infection. which lead me to the AquaBiomics testing and consider doing one to help me understand what is going wrong and why corals are not recovering. I started to read more about it and even communicated with the lab as I have my questions.

Past forward a few days and while doing the tank routine inspection, I got electrocuted while checking the filter socks. It was a hard one. Usually, I wear high sleeves rubber gloves before I touch the water to avoid any chemical contamination but this time I was just checking here and there with no plan to touch the water. This made me realize that there is a stray volt in my system. I troubled to shoot it and discovered the source. It was the chiller. I ground it and solve the issue in 5 minutes.

After this, It became clear to me know what killed the snails and stresses the corals. It was the stray volt. After one week the corals showed a huge improvement. After 3 months, all corals are happy and the dkh consumption is now gone up high again and even exceeded the old numbers.

Stressed Coral (due to stray volt)

20220407_005525.jpg

Same one after one month of Fixing the Current leak issue

Screenshot_20220407-005447_Gallery.jpg

Corals have never been happier.

20220407_005541.jpg

AAAND Guess what!! No sign of any AEFW since then.

Could it be the temperature? The stray volt? The medications? The hungry fish? Could it be either one or all of them? I think it is the stray volt more than anything else. but I could be wrong here!! I just wanted to share this experience with everyone and hopefully, it will help you..

Regards 20210103_234009.jpg
I got electrocuted !!!!....

So what are you trying to say is voltage kill the Worms?...... They got electrocuted as well?.... Sorry I enjoy your tale ... seems most reefers have anxiety issues always tinkering ... always (I'm including my self too )....

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you went through the same scenario about 10 years ago. For (14) weeks, I removed every acro frag and colony from our system and dipped them in I think it was Revive. Eggs were scraped off each piece as they surfaced. After that time there was no sign of them. It's was a grueling process that was worth it in the end IMO...
bsa
I agree with you. its really worth it.

OP
OP
Ali-F

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got electrocuted !!!!....

So what are you trying to say is voltage kill the Worms?...... They got electrocuted as well?.... Sorry I enjoy your tale ... seems most reefers have anxiety issues always tinkering ... always (I'm including my self too )....
hahah.. yeah this is what I believe. But honestly, I am still scared that one day I see them coming back.

Back