How I keep nitrates low on the cheap with a large lion fish

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will share how I’ve kept nitrates at undetectable levels for the past 60 days. I did a 100% water change a few weeks ago because I dosed the display with copper, no other water changes. Nitrates read 0 before this water change. Before I put this in place, I was getting an increase of about 10 ppm nitrates per week. The tank had 40 ppm nitrate at the start and grew more algea in the beginning than now. I will try and update this in a few months with results. All tests performed with api tests. I use Kalkwaser in auto top off to keep calcium and alk at proper levels.

I built a refugium from a 20 gallon tank. I put a sheet of Darice Mesh Plastic Canvas in the refuium, just floats on top. I bought a 600 watt grow light from Amazon for like 70 dollars. This light is the key. I have ran the light for 12-18 hours at night. It is basically a ultra simple diy algea scrubber. I have a 8” (just measured) lion fish which probably produces as much bio load as most 100 gallon aquariums with normal fish. So far nitrates have read 0, 100 percent of the time and my ph went up from 7.6-7-8 to 8.0-8.5. Phosphate is .25 but was closer to .75 before the water change. That is easily dealt with phosphate media. It started with the light up against the side of the fuge and a black piece of plastic behind the algea sheet to keep the Algea area more contained. This was causing my water to get too hot. The light puts off almost no heat but I guess it does put off some over long periods of time.

265CE53B-2252-4317-A275-39D6D64A5F83.jpeg A641EF03-56E1-46A7-B7FF-322A9B3CDA3E.jpeg

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dosed your display with copper?

Have you checked to see if there's copper leaching back out from the rocks or sand?

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Light is on 6 hours per day at 50% to keep nitrate at 5 ppm steady. No water changes.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I could keep up with 6 times my current bio load if I turned the light on 18 hours a day at 100%. Lots of reserve if load goes up.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 watts of lighting is not all that efficient or cheap for one lionfish. I've never heard of a refugium needing that much light

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 watts of lighting is not all that efficient or cheap for one lionfish. I've never heard of a refugium needing that much light
To be clear, it only uses 100 watts of actual electricity. 600 watt equivalent, it is led. And I only use it at half power 6 hours a day for a fish that is fed the amount of food equal to the amount of fish many people have in their entire tank. While I don’t make it a habit of feeding him goldfish. He can easily eat 8 good sized comet goldfish in 10 seconds. How many days would it take you to feed your fish the amount of food equal to 8 dead comet goldfish? It is a huge bio load. Most people use much smaller lights for their refugium. And most people cannot keep nitrates at 0 with no water changes. You may have never heard of needing that much power for a refugium, but most people would be much better off having more than they do.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back