How important is manufacturer water level for skimmer?

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Bubble Magus Curve 5 as my first ever skimmer without knowing about varying water levels with skimmers... Well the baffles I have for my sump put the water level at 7" which isn't adjustable. The manufacturer recommends 9.5-11". Will it still work or should I return the skimmer? I'm not sure what the implications are of this situation if I use it in a shallower than recommended water level... If I try it out and it doesn't work I won't be able to return it...

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the manufacturer. In the case of the bubble magus 5, I think mines in about 7.5in of water. I had to raise it up because my sump was too deep. You can make slight adjustments with the skimmer air intake. I’d do some searches on the skimmer here. I don’t think there is much success in running it at the recommended depth.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try cranking the skimmer up or worst case grab a piece of acrylic from Home Depot and modify the baffle height. I don’t have this skimmer but I’ve never looked at recommendations for any skimmer either. Usually I end up having to put something under them like @CubsFan said.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Bubble Magus Curve 5 as my first ever skimmer without knowing about varying water levels with skimmers... Well the baffles I have for my sump put the water level at 7" which isn't adjustable. The manufacturer recommends 9.5-11". Will it still work or should I return the skimmer? I'm not sure what the implications are of this situation if I use it in a shallower than recommended water level... If I try it out and it doesn't work I won't be able to return it...
Just remember, any liquid in skimmer needs to look like beer. This says skimmer working efficiently

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Water height plays a vital role. A skimmer in too deep of water will run continuosly and not create foam.
In too shallow may not be able to fractionate the foam waste into the collection chamber

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would simply try it and see what happens. I find it odd that bubble Magus calls for so much higher water levels than everybody else, yet they’re using the same pumps (sicce psk1000). That leads me to believe that they should work just fine at 7 to 8 inches as well

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best skimmers are the recirculating type of skimmer.
They are not dependant on sump water levels.
They have much more tuning ability as well.
There are both internal and external units.
Buy right, buy once.
BRS has a excelent video series on several skimmers.
You will find brands are almost equal across-the-board and water level is critical to all except the recirculating type.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best skimmers are the recirculating type of skimmer.
They are not dependant on sump water levels.
They have much more tuning ability as well.
There are both internal and external units.
Buy right, buy once.
BRS has a excelent video series on several skimmers.
You will find brands are almost equal across-the-board and water level is critical to all except the recirculating type.
Could you give an example of a recirculating one?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I might just have to give it a go then
Right on. Its a great compact skimmer not sure if you can find a better skimmer for the price and efficiency for what you need. Not sure why they reccomend running it so deep. Mine has about 2 inches water over the pump intake and always has.
Just fine tune the water intake you should be fine.
Remember min water intake is actually maximum water intake when fine tuning.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Classic 150EXT 6” Recirculating Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus

Reef Octopus
Classic 150EXT 6” Recirculating Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus
IN STOCK: 7
SKU
Rating:
95% of100
11 Reviews Add Your Review

$364.99

-+
Add to Cart

Add to Wish List
  • Risk Free Returns
Skip to the end of the images gallery

Best for you to do some research and conclude whats best for you.
But this is a recirculating type.

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your Curve 5. I was in your shoes and brand new to anything Skimmer about a year ago. I bought the Curve 5 Elite because of a sale for last Black Friday. Hate to say, that I’m still fighting. It’s been a finicky SOB ever since I got it. It’s been up and down constantly. I have it in about 9” of water currently. For the past month, I’ve finally been able to keep it at that depth, but need to fine tune it with the adjust knob every week. After a water change, it’s closer to Max. As the week goes on, it’s going closer to Min. I think because things are just settling out the longer it goes from stirring everything up. Been fighting algae because I don’t think I’ve had it running right.

Then again, I’ve read several people who plugged their in and it worked fine from day one. Hope your is one of those!!

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bubble Magus Hero 180. I think same as Curve 7. Bought from a fellow r2r four years ago. Needs minimum 9.5 inches for proper skimming. Wet skim at 11

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BM Curve5 and while it will “work” at lower water levels I found it was more consistent at the recommended water level. I was using it on my main tank, 92g, with a Trigger Ruby 30 with a set 9.5 inch water level and worked well for years. Moved it to my sons tank, 70g, and struggled a little with keeping it dialed in. His tank has a Trigger Emerald 26 with adjustable water level 7-9.5”. The water level baffle was pushed all the way down and once I raised the baffle I haven’t had the consistency issues.

Wasn’t horribly bad to deal with at the low water level but if you can get it a little higher I would certainly do so.

NickosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my baffles to 9.5 inches just for the curve 5 and that was way too much. I had to raise it so it sits in about 7 inches of water. I have it on top of a marine pure block and I 3D printed another 1.5 inch stand. I’m willing to bet you’ll be fine with 7.

gizzo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Curve 5 as well and I bought baffles for the sump not realizing it said 6” baffle height. What’s a cheap way to raise the height ? I will mention that I haven’t put the baffles in yet

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plexiglass and a good neutral clear silicon would be a cheap way of raising the water level in the sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back