How long can a reef tank last without heater

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like in case of power outage, I have battery for the Vortech pumps so water movement will continue. But heater won't. My house heating is electricity as well. In winter it barely gets below freezing point. How low temperature can a tank survive through?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on so many factors, lid? Ambient temp? I live in Wi so it gets cold! My heaters never turn on. Need more info!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long if your house temp is just above freezing, at a guess a couple of hours for inverts to start dieing then corals and fish.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like in case of power outage, I have battery for the Vortech pumps so water movement will continue. But heater won't. My house heating is electricity as well. In winter it barely gets below freezing point. How low temperature can a tank survive through?

I agree with piranhaman90, depends on factors. I know I cannot go without a heater in the winter months, even with the new HVAC unit. The winter in KY, the home space temperature is around 68-70 degrees F and when the tank temperature reaches 77 degrees, the heater will turn on. Usually, during the winter, the tank stays around 77-78 degrees.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of factors as said above. Wrapping the tank sides in blankets or styrofoam board might buy some time. If you can heat water without electricity and put it in a bag or bottle you can float that in the tank to try and maintain temperature.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this re-phrase of the Op's question: what is the lowest temperature that someone has run their reef tank without loss of life?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Im sure it could drop into the 60s and be fine. Just slowly raise back up.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this video about keeping tank warm during power outage, using calcium chloride. Sounds like another reason to pile up some more 2 part media lol.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank runs about 5-7 degrees higher than room temp, with no heater or chiller running. How cold would you expect the inside of your house to get during a power outage at night (worst case)? Do you have a covered tank or an open-top tank? If open, covering the top with a blanket or something would greatly reduce the rate of heat-loss. My tank has glass lids and a hood, while the sump is in an enclosed cabinet with fans that turn off when temp drops.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 24 hour outtage where it was upper 60's.

Most of the corals I had a the time were softies maybe some LPS, but don't remember loss from the event. The tank is a 29 gallon.

Another time I had a 65 gallon reef, but may have been mostly Fowlr at the time. All the fish survived a 3 day power outtage and the room was dropping into the 50's during the night.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well insulated house in the winter will take a day to drop real low and the aquarium water should take even longer. I'm seriously considering having an electrician patch my breaker box with a plug for my generator to power the house essentials. As of now I have a small generator for the house and a car inverter thats sufficient to run everything on my tank except the lights.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost power for 55 hours this July when Isaias hit. My tanks are in an unheated basement. The temps in the tanks got to the low 60s. I lost acros, some sps my C. argi and a bunch of small gobies and blennies.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st thing to do is drape blanket over tank to reduce heat loss. Just purchased some battery operated air pumps.
The temp loss depends on ambient.
Not that helpful, but these are my steps.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost power for 55 hours this July when Isaias hit. My tanks are in an unheated basement. The temps in the tanks got to the low 60s. I lost acros, some sps my C. argi and a bunch of small gobies and blennies.

Sorry for your lost. Your info is really helpful.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy a generator; they aren't that expensive.

Except I don't have a good source of fuel. I drive an electric only car. So to have a generator ready to go, I have to keep couple bucket of gas in the house. But gas are only good for like half a year, so I will have to continue replacing it but have nowhere else to use them up regularly.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except I don't have a good source of fuel. I drive an electric only car. So to have a generator ready to go, I have to keep couple bucket of gas in the house. But gas are only good for like half a year, so I will have to continue replacing it but have nowhere else to use them up regularly.

Perhaps keep a small jerry can for emergencies, so it's not a big deal if it goes bad? Can't fuel stabilizers prolong the life of gas?

As for how long they can last when it's cold, I think that will be more so dependant on the species in question. If it helps, in my unheated basement (63f) my 55 gallon tank temp barely changed when I lost power for 3 hours.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back