How long does it take for 60hr heatpack to heat up???

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened a pack of uniheat 60hr heatpack and it's not getting hot. It says no shaking or kneading required just expose to air. It's been like 10 mins now and still not hot. I even try shaking it up. Can these things expire???

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been like almost an hour now and it's not even near warm. I think my hands heated up the pack more than it did anything.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say it's a bad one......The air contact should have started the chemical reaction and it should have warmed up after about 20min reaching optimum temp after an hour or so......It might have gotten air contact in the packaging hard to say if there wasn't a small leak in the packaging. It don't take but a very small hole to start it....

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine was getting ready to ship some coral to me from cali, and had to postpone, he had a whole box of uniheat that was bad.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the 40hr uni heats. IME.....the way to know if they are bad is if they are brick hard, or feels like gravel or stones inside. otherwise.....chemically they should be unreacted if they are still soft.

i shake mine up like crazy and kneed them for about 30min before iput it in the box, they are usually pretty warm by then. they also need oxygen in order to work, so makes me wonder how fast they use up the O2 in a box before they stop working.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the brand. I know uni-heat brand takes at least 1/2 hour to even start feeling anything. But takes a few hours to heat to optiumum temps.

MUCHO REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a bad one, I always wait until I feel them generating heat before I secure them to the top of my styro. I also make it a habit of rolling the heat pack in my hands a few times. I just shipped a few things today and I had a bad one, and I just received them in the mail last Friday. When packing, I guess time is important when trying the get them to the shipper, so if they don't heat up within 30 minutes, I'd trash it and try another one. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been 10 hours now and still cold to the touch and not even warm. I opened a second pack and it was cold also i stuck it in a box and taped it up to see how it does and i'm about to open it up. Let's see what the conclusion is. Well the uniheat 60 hr in that box is not hot. The 18+ hour one i put in the box is still hot.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been 10 hours now and still cold to the touch and not even warm. I opened a second pack and it was cold also i stuck it in a box and taped it up to see how it does and i'm about to open it up. Let's see what the conclusion is. Well the uniheat 60 hr in that box is not hot. The 18+ hour one i put in the box is still hot.

did you shake them up?

where did you get them from?

antdogz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat

I always go with the heat factory products...they heat up in a matter of minutes.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I open them up I shake them up a bit. And let them sit out for a half hour to activate. Then I pack it up. You might have a defective one or batch. Call the company up they might replace them.

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i shook it up, i kneaded it up, i stuck it in my pocket, i did everything. The company is sending me some 40hrs packs instead. Definitely a bad batch as they are not old and used as the stuff inside are like normal feels like sand not clumpy and hard like when it's used up.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some studies on various heat packs and their impact on bagged water temperature over time. I hope to get some of the 40 hour packs this weekend and be able to post the charts in the next couple weeks.

So far, I have tested the Little Hotties 8 hour & 18 hour packs. Plan to terst the 40 hour next. If anyone has four of the 60 hour packs they are willing to donate for the study, please PM me.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back