How many households in the USA have Marine Aquariums (no google)

How many households in the US have Marine tanks (no googling allowed)

• Total voters

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So let’s see I went straight to saltwater which was actually started or sparked my interest in junior high biology. Now at the time there were probably close to 35 students in my class (I’m guessing but it was a lot), but I know for a fact there was three of us that took care of that tank. It was the teacher, and another student and I, (which she was my friend). After the first year she went onto other things and I took care of the tank, even when I went into high school. They were next to each other and I would go over on my lunch time and check on it.

Now given that I live in Boise which is like a suburb compared to most places, it’s close to 300,000. Between the entire metro area there are officially only three saltwater stores. Now given on most days I go in, they are jammed packed with people.

So after reading this thread I asked co workers through like email all in my section which is 427 to be exact. (Sorry can’t post it because it’s work stuff and has all the email info etc) but just where I work alone only 7 people including myself have ever dealt with salt water tanks. That is barely .01% and four of those were other physicians who have them in their office at work. That’s just my section so who knows about others, but most of my section is nurses, nurse practitioners, physicians, admins, etc. Most certainly can afford this hobby, (now if I did a poll on golfing at work I think there is like 7 of us who don’t. I’m one of them, usually when I get dragged into a golf game with co workers, I just pick the little white ball up and throw it. It goes further and straighter than if I try hitting it with that bat/club looking thing.

What’s also interesting from school is for those who do saltwater tanks, what is the male to female ratio? Now I have seen a few females here in Boise but I don’t know if it’s
Because of their spouses. I have seen quite a few on here, and I have one close friend (female) that has a tank. But it would be neat to see that stat as well. In school most of the classes I took related to this (was male dominated by quiet a bit). But again, that could also just have been my class and timing etc.

Reading the posted articles I found fascinating, and that we were less than 1% on the pie chart. Even thinking of terms of aquariums and lfs, they are always packed and people love to see reefs. One would think there would be more of an interest in it. Every time I go to my local aquarium, they are behind schedule and always ask me for help. But every time I am in there one of the number one questions is, how hard is this to do? I say personally much easier than fresh, more rewarding, but more expensive to start, but levels out.

Honestly I had to take care of my friends fresh water tank and I hated that terribly. I find fresh water (personally) much harder, dirtier, and way more time consuming. Now I know many will disagree with me, but that was my first experience and it kinda (don’t like saying this word but it sucked). I have always thought salt was easier, (more expensive at first), but fresh water goes south almost bad fast as salt does.

I’m not sure I classify this as a hobby, but more of an art or science. Playing golf is a hobby/sport, collecting legos or classic cars, or doll houses, is a hobby. I find this more of a art of science. Because it takes honestly some basic science and marine biology to even get it to work, and takes more to be successful. Secondly, it’s an art, how we construct and aquascspe and choose corals and fish etc is a work of art. No two tanks are the same, all master pieces in their own state. But there are lots of legos that look identical, or classic cars (other than colors). I mean even baseball cards (brothers fun thing), use to be something sought after until they produced 9000000 copies of the same card lol.

But I find the people who have their own ocean and reef a very special elite kind of person. I wish there was more of us out there, because if done correctly, we could be the ones who help prevent the great reefs from extinction.

I would disagree with saying Saltwater is Easier than Freshwater.

I think part of the reason for your argument is because we spend so much on it we tend to take the time to learn it and take care of it.

For most people if their Freshwater Fish Die they take $20 to the store and replace them.

When Fish are $50 or $100 or more people will take better care of them.

In the Pet Industry cheap animals are known as thowaway animals. Meaning they die you just buy another. When animals are more expensive people tend to care for them better because they don't want to pay all that money to replace them.

I have had better success with Saltwater than I ever did with Freshwater.

But I was just waaaaay more interested and obsessed so I spend thousands of hours researching the topic.

I never did any research in Freshwater.

I have known many many people who have crashed tanks from super low Salinity or Topping off with Saltwater.

Most of us would not do that but casual Hobbyists will.

P.S. The Baseball Card Industy is Gigantic.

Yes, at one Point cards were made in the Millions but now they have cards Stamped 1/1

I have some of these cards.

There literally is just one in the world (Not Millions).

If Bill Gates with all his Money wants one he has to buy from me and if I say no he will never get said card.

Packs are not 0.50 for 15 Cards and a stick of Gum.

I have seen packs with one card and no Gum sell for $250 (And that is this years pack) not some rare pack from a long time ago.

Packs of 2019 Panini Flawless sell for I believe $1,400 for 10 Cards.

A Mike Trout Rookie Cards from 2009 just sold for $145,000

We are not talking about an Old Babe Ruth Card but a Modern Player.

Card Prices are Skyrocketing.

People are buying Baseball Cards as an Investment these days.

It is not a Hobby for Kids anymore.

Instead of Buying Stocks people are Making a Killing Buying and Selling Baseball Cards.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the number of people at Aquashella in Dallas 2 weeks ago, I would say it is a bigger number than I would have guessed if I had tried to answer this a month ago. The line to get in was unbelievable, and it took 45 minutes to get to the door.

6,700 People went to that show Alone (Aquashella - Dallas).

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Great thread let's keep this going lol. How many reef tank do you think in 2023? I think closer to 100k I only am guessing based on the number of followers bulk reef had and the number of followers wwc has. I would think most people with a reef tank would be following them but maybe some people don't and stick with the lfs

Any thought or anymore data on this ?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back