How many of you have had luck with rainbow/multicolored chalices that are mostly one color developing other colors when growing?

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how many people out there have purchased frags of the various types of rainbows, crayola meltdowns, TSA master blasters, etc where the mother colony has a splattering of different colors, but a frag may only be a couple of colors. Given the price of some of them, it seems risky to drop a couple hundred dollars on a chalice frag with an all red base and yellow eyes hoping it will also develop blues, greens, etc.

This is the closest example I could find with a quick search. I'm thinking of something like that, but without even those little blue and green specks in it. Same with this one, it does have have some oranges, blues, and reds, but has anyone had luck growing it out to look like the mother colony? (I don't mean to make it look like I'm calling TSA out, they just show up at the top of the google search results and both happen to have pictures of the mother colony for comparison)

Does anyone have any good progress pictures showing their single colored "rainbow" or similar either growing into a large single colored chalice or adding other colors?

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible for it to happen, but it takes a lot longer. Usually, the other colors will come out as small specks and will take much longer to spread out into something more impressive. That's usually why frags with fewer colors are sold for cheaper since it will take longer to develop the colors. By the time the other colors come in, the main color of the frag will have grown much larger, giving you a colony that is mostly the original frag. If you did buy a single-colored rainbow chalice frag, I would recommend buying one that's mostly the red portion since the yellow rim is very nice. A blue with green rimmed rainbow chalice is not as pretty/ desirable.

It's a personal call to purchase a frag with one color and hope the other ones come in. My personal opinion is to save a little bit more to pick up a frag with at least 2 colors. This guarantees the colors you're looking for and if it grows well for you, you're guaranteed to be able to make frags with the multiple colors.

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible for it to happen, but it takes a lot longer. Usually, the other colors will come out as small specks and will take much longer to spread out into something more impressive. That's usually why frags with fewer colors are sold for cheaper since it will take longer to develop the colors. By the time the other colors come in, the main color of the frag will have grown much larger, giving you a colony that is mostly the original frag. If you did buy a single-colored rainbow chalice frag, I would recommend buying one that's mostly the red portion since the yellow rim is very nice. A blue with green rimmed rainbow chalice is not as pretty/ desirable.

It's a personal call to purchase a frag with one color and hope the other ones come in. My personal opinion is to save a little bit more to pick up a frag with at least 2 colors. This guarantees the colors you're looking for and if it grows well for you, you're guaranteed to be able to make frags with the multiple colors.
Well said I believe eventually all the colors will come out but it will take time , patience and u may end up with mostly one or 2 colors in 75 percent were the other 25 percent will be rainbow..im experimenting with it now .I bought a cheaper blue with a tiny red streak .let's see

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back