TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hideous! :p ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

very!!!

Of course I had to trick out the stand with a 24v 3a power rail. For LED lighting, fans, LED buttons, whatever I end up wanting. :)

(Yeah, I have the button LED set to normally off so it doesn’t bother me at night)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very!!!

Of course I had to trick out the stand with a 24v 3a power rail. For LED lighting, fans, LED buttons, whatever I end up wanting. :)

(Yeah, I have the button LED set to normally off so it doesn’t bother me at night)

Lol I do really like the orange you went with. I've got an entirely different setup for my sump area that unfortunately I don't have the tools or expertise to do on my own.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my 6ft stand naked without the doors. About $100 in supplies. My husband was a carpenter for 15 years. It’s holding a 125 but I wouldn’t hesitate to put a tank twice as tall on it. My husband sat his Fortwo on it to test it out. Lol

125F242B-978A-40D1-B445-81F5BD3004DE.jpeg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4 stand clad in reclaimed barn wood with rusty barn roof door inserts. I’m less than $200 into this one. I’m going to build some side cabinets and fancy up the canopy a bit. Eventually...
BF2671D1-58F3-410E-B04D-0F47DA4BE388.jpeg

C6424A84-A4D3-423E-9BBD-FB9106505FF7.jpeg
very nice!
here is mt 75 and 40br stand I made years ago. same concept 2x4 and trimmed out in barn wood. oh the simple days of reefing my tasted can gotten more expensive. :(

1571974947672.png

forgive pic quality this was 2011 and it was from a cell phone I believe prob. a flip phone...

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steel stands. Due to this being an item that generally needs specialty tools to work with, and quite often the use of a welding service, can this be considered as actually DIY. I do agree that a steel stand is preferable, but I think that the simplicity of working with wood is more accessible to the average DIYer. I built mine pretty much with with hand powered tools, borrowed a drill to do the drilling and screwing. I did initially examine using square tubing held together using bolts but even there I found that the issue would be cutting and drilling the tubes...again requiring tools that I think most people don't happen to have readily available.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steel stands. Due to this being an item that generally needs specialty tools to work with, and quite often the use of a welding service, can this be considered as actually DIY. ?

Point... Still, if I design it, have the frame welded up to my spec, and finish it out myself, yeah, IHMO, it's a DIY stand.

AND, I might mention, if you can find a decent little fab shop locally, it's likely to be close to the least expensive option available to you. Ok, yeah, you can screw together 2x4's cheaper, but a cabinet grade wood stand is going to be more than steel.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never use a factory stand again. I dont trust particle board and water, call me crazy. Also the ability to customize for sumps, storage, access is priceless.

Built with maple and pine. Didnt want to bend dimensional lumbar so used angles and only cut a bow for the top and bottom then used veneer for the edging. Customized a stain color and probably had 15 coats wipe on poly. I could probably park a car it it never mind the 460 lb reef and it will last generations.
20190214_152755.jpg
20190223_140948.jpg

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point... Still, if I design it, have the frame welded up to my spec, and finish it out myself, yeah, IHMO, it's a DIY stand.

AND, I might mention, if you can find a decent little fab shop locally, it's likely to be close to the least expensive option available to you. Ok, yeah, you can screw together 2x4's cheaper, but a cabinet grade wood stand is going to be more than steel.
I'm not sure that cost is actually the problem with DIY stands.....ease of construction, and access to the tools needed are probably more important. I do agree with your points and I would have gone steel, but, I couldn't figure out how to work with the steel. Maybe on my next stand.... :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, maybe $150.00. I used redwood because it doesn't warp or rot. The 4X4 legs are pressure treated.
Hardware is hot dipped galvanized steel. It's 6' long

Joelopez02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldnt cost you that much to make a stand. 2x4s are like $2.50 each at home depot and screws are like 10 bucks. made mine for basically nothing since i made it out of scrap wood from a job site.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldnt cost you that much to make a stand. 2x4s are like $2.50 each at home depot and screws are like 10 bucks. made mine for basically nothing since i made it out of scrap wood from a job site.
The money isnt in the framing lumber, it's in the nice finish lumber, hinges, knobs, stain and top coating, etc. That's what adds up

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted https://8020.net/ directly and they had a nearby representative contact me directly. I told them what I wanted and they have sent me a diagram of the finished product and quoted me $750. I'm currently making a few changes and waiting on the quote back. This will be replacing my junk Red Sea Reefer 750xxl stand.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted www.8020.net directly and they had a nearby representative contact me directly. I told them what I wanted and they have sent me a diagram of the finished product and quoted me $750. I'm currently making a few changes and waiting on the quote back. This will be replacing my junk Red Sea Reefer 750xxl stand.
Link is broken

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted www.8020.net directly and they had a nearby representative contact me directly. I told them what I wanted and they have sent me a diagram of the finished product and quoted me $750. I'm currently making a few changes and waiting on the quote back. This will be replacing my junk Red Sea Reefer 750xxl stand.
You dont like the red sea stands? Im trying to recreate one very similar

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back