How much energy do our fish need?

What foods are your energy source for fish?

• Dry (pellets and flakes)

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Frozen

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Homemade blend

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Live foods

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Dry and frozen

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad pellet, I'd say. Although being the skeptic that I am, I'd want to know exactly what fish is in there and exactly what fish by-products are there.
I believe I read that the fish is ocean fish ( not freshwater etc..), but I don’t have the source.
As for the fish by-producs, I suspect it is the legality. They use the whole fish so by default they use fish by-products.
The fish do like it and are lot more active vs. when I gave them home made frozen food. Noticeably more….

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out early and home late most days, work a lot, so I have my system setup to drop into feed mode at 9pm every day. I've considered an auto feeder but for me it doesn't seem necessary as I don't have any big fish or anything like that. If I had tangs or something like that Id probably drop a Nori clip in the morning but I don't have anything like that currently.
I see.

When I was working (retired now). I set my tank lights to come on 30 minutes before I had to get up. So I fed in the morning. The lights were set to turn off 30 minutes after I left for work.

The lights came on again during the afternoon and when I got home, I fed the fish. Then before bed time (for me) I fed again, with the lights going out 30 minutes after I went to bed.

I did have a wide range of fish species, unlike yours. I did manage 3 feedings a day this way.

Hobbyists can also feed small amounts hourly, too to get in multiple feeds, even if it in the evening with 3-4 hours (3-4 feedings) before the hobbyist's bedtime.

I've never, in the 60+ years in the hobby used an auto feeder.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I read that the fish is ocean fish ( not freshwater etc..), but I don’t have the source.
As for the fish by-producs, I suspect it is the legality. They use the whole fish so by default they use fish by-products.
The fish do like it and are lot more active vs. when I gave them home made frozen food. Noticeably more….
I'd read "fish" as potentially being the whole fish. But read "fish by products" meaning
viscera, tissue, skins, scales and bones. This could be from freshwater and/or saltwater fishes.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week as nutrition is an importance for well being of fish, the question comes up- How much energy do our fish really need?
There are many staples in form of frozen and dry foods and classifications of fish. . . Herbivore, carnivore, and more. Foods are important for energy, color, immunity health and overall vitality. Often a concern is " what must I have" or " do I really need this" ?
Herbivores get their energy from algae but the nutritious content of algae is low compared to many foods so feeding meats are equally as important, in fact my tangs will take meat over algae any day.. There is the popular nori. I personally use the julian sprung and ocean nutrition versions but asian markets sell this - as long as its not basted with seasonings. There are supplements such spirulina, spinach and romaine lettuce but its also important that what is offered is easy for the fish to digest.
Then there are Carnivores often referred to as meat eaters. Popular and recognized foods for carnivires are Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, krill, plankton and even homemade concoctions. There has been controversy as to the nutritional value of brine shrimp which 19% fat, 52% protein and 15% carbs
So, the heading and question is: "how much energy is required for my fish" ?
This often is not easy to answer as the answer will be based on type of fish, size of fish, age of fish not to mention many us assume they dont need as much as larger pts, cat, dog, etc.
When given a variety of food and healthy foods, the fish we keep can have an enhanced method of living. One member (@Weeb) expresses an importance in nutrition as it does play a role in successful husbandry

What is your perception of energy for fish?
What foods do you choose to feed and what do you hope it accomplishes for the health of your fish?
Do you have a favorite food you feed and what type/brand is it?

I feed the best I can acquire and use brands such as Hikari- ocean nutrition - LRS - San Fransisco Bay and Rods - Massticks -TDO pellets

food1.jpg
food2.jpg
I do Hikiri frozen foods mostly and PE mysis! My fish love that and its a favorite of my dwarf lion fish! She doesnt like big clumps of food for some reason but she goes nuts for the PE mysis, hikiri squid and plankton! I use emerald entree for my tang dominated tank, they love that stuff! Since I have anthias I feed two frozen meals and a “snack” of either pellets or artic pods to them! They love the artic pods!

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd read "fish" as potentially being the whole fish. But read "fish by products" meaning
viscera, tissue, skins, scales and bones. This could be from freshwater and/or saltwater fishes.
It is “Whole fish”, this company is particular in stating not fish by-products. Or let me rephrase they claim to procure whole fish not fish by-products.

But now you made me think and if I have time I will inquire what the deal is. I suspect it is legal issue since they use whole fish you end up using by-product skin for sure, head of you crush it, guts etc..,

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do Hikiri frozen foods mostly and PE mysis! My fish love that and its a favorite of my dwarf lion fish! She doesnt like big clumps of food for some reason but she goes nuts for the PE mysis, hikiri squid and plankton! I use emerald entree for my tang dominated tank, they love that stuff! Since I have anthias I feed two frozen meals and a “snack” of either pellets or artic pods to them! They love the artic pods!
lion- UPGRADE TO SMALL PLANKTON, THEN KRILL

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lion- UPGRADE TO SMALL PLANKTON, THEN KRILL
I forgot to mention I have her on plankton! She hates krill, she wont touch it!! Any idea how to help with it? Its like she doesnt like the size of it

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I forgot to mention I have her on plankton! She hates krill, she wont touch it!! Any idea how to help with it? Its like she doesnt like the size of it
It will come around. Often starving them will force them but not at this time I suggest doing so. You can also tie a loose piece of thread to krill or similar and slowly pull it through the water and the fish may attack it

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will come around. Often starving them will force them but not at this time I suggest doing so. You can also tie a loose piece of thread to krill or similar and slowly pull it through the water and the fish may attack it
I will try that! She eats some food when I feed the rest of the tank too, is that bad for her?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes she does! She sits by the opening I put the food in and waits for me to dump their food in the tank! Shes one of my favorite fish!
Pssst - No Pics? (hint-hint)

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets plus frozen at the same time because frozen by itself is expensive. Pellets let me save money. Also, most fish prefer pellets and that leaves more frozen for my copperband and other finicky fish that won't eat pellets.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 49E105D5-4A20-4008-BA7B-E5452E8AAF80.jpeg
    49E105D5-4A20-4008-BA7B-E5452E8AAF80.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back