How much is too much?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend and I split feedings during the day. Depending on who is home does the feeding, when we are both home we check with each other so that feeding is never doubled. I have already went through the dinoflagellate phase and currently on the cyano phase. I am beginning to see some green hair algae here and there in spots on rock. I have started blowing off the rocks with a baster and really surprised the cloud of gunk that is coming off the rock. I then started questioning if we are feeding too much, not knowing where this much stuff is coming from. I have a healthy sized cleanup crew so I do not think that is a problem. Currently this is my fish in a 70 gallon.

Small Yellow Tang
2 False Percs
One Royal Gramma
6 Line Wrasse
Azure Damsel

Also a pistol shrimp

With this many fish and feeding frozen food what would be too much? Honestly they seem to eat quite a bit. I am sure some of that food goes elsewhere but I have a refugium with an exploding pod population and the sump is full of live rock so I figured it would balance out in the end.

Maybe I am overthinking it but was really surprised at how much is blown off the rock every single day. As far as the food goes it is a blending of clam and mysis shrimp. The tang gets a quarter sheet of nori once a day.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can over feed, if your parameters are good then feed as much as they will eat.

Sounds like you have another issue going on, if that much detritus came of the rocks, I would look at your cleaning route, rather than think you are over feeding, frozen is one of the lowest nutrient foods that will lead to increased lvls, pellets etc will be far worse so you are good there.

Maybe look to blow your rocks more often and vacuum your sand bed if you already don’t.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can over feed, if your parameters are good then feed as much as they will eat.

Sounds like you have another issue going on, if that much detritus came of the rocks, I would look at your cleaning route, rather than think you are over feeding, frozen is one of the lowest nutrient foods that will lead to increased lvls, pellets etc will be far worse so you are good there.

Maybe look to blow your rocks more often and vacuum your sand bed if you already don’t.

Sand is as clean as sand can be, other than a light dusting of cyano that is actually getting less and less. It is just the rock for some reason.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is as clean as sand can be, other than a light dusting of cyano that is actually getting less and less. It is just the rock for some reason.

Do you turkey baster blast the rocks?

If your parameters are ok, feed the fish as much as you want, they will thank you for it, in the wild they have access to food 24/7.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase your flow and try multiple flow patterns throughout the day if possible. Turkey baste a few times a week. Congratulations on getting through Dino’s. That has claimed many a sailor.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase your flow and try multiple flow patterns throughout the day if possible. Turkey baste a few times a week. Congratulations on getting through Dino’s. That has claimed many a sailor.

No doubt right. I am hard headed though. I knew this endeavor was going to have many bad weeks to get to the finish line.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back