How not to start a reef tank, my first reef tank build

Which light should I upgrade to after coral qt is done?

• 2x ai prime

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Reefbreeders 24 in. Photon v2

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Stick with current orbit USA marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Viparspectra 165w

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 2x hipargero 30w

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is just too big, I'm sure it would work fine on a fully stocked tank but still. WOW.

Haha right! Also this sump takes up the full width of the stand. I was able to remove the backplate so can get it out now but it’s overkill.

I’m going to see if someone will trade a smaller sump and maybe some Hannah checkers, hydra mounts, or other cool stuff for the two.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be great, I like it!
No complaints so far, it's quiet and gets yucky, so I know it works.

I always find it hilarious how people talk about skimmate. Not only does the term itself seem... coital but reefers always go into intimate detail discussing their skimmate.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might start with only Chaeto on the dt. I do plan on keeping this tank dirtier. My frag tank thrives with phosphate at .05-.1 and nitrate at ~10.

Do skimmers usually keep nutrients below those levels? And can you calibrate skimmers to maybe run less effectively?

I don’t want to get a crap skimmer only to upgrade when I stock the dt with more fish.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might start with only Chaeto on the dt. I do plan on keeping this tank dirtier. My frag tank thrives with phosphate at .05-.1 and nitrate at ~10.

Do skimmers usually keep nutrients below those levels? And can you calibrate skimmers to maybe run less effectively?

I don’t want to get a crap skimmer only to upgrade when I stock the dt with more fish.
Yes there's a knob on skimmers to adjust the amount of foam production, meaning you can skim wet and pull water, gunk and nutrients or skim dry and pull just thick gunk, no tank water.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got word back from the builder and the tank won’t be ready tomorrow unfortunately . This is the third delay unfortunately and I’m starting to become worried.

My fish in quarantine really need to get out of the copper. I’m tempted to put them in my display tank that’s running but am worried about it being too difficult to fish them out with the rock work when the tank is done.

I shouldn’t have purchased this tank :/

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as far as I know skimmers don't really pull nutrients as much as they just pull dirt out of the water.
It will be ok just do the best ya can, not everything is binary.
If you need to just do a 50% WC 2-3 times this week and run bag of carbon and copper should be gone

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as far as I know skimmers don't really pull nutrients as much as they just pull dirt out of the water.
It will be ok just do the best ya can, not everything is binary.
If you need to just do a 50% WC 2-3 times this week and run bag of carbon and copper should be gone

What I’m thinking about doing is just resealing the practice 10g and put them in there until Wednesday.

I purchased two 10oz tubes of Momentive rtv 108 (second strongest aquarium silicone) and am sealing the sump to be on the safe side. I can take the time to go ahead and cycle/complete plumbing on it.

It’s still a bumber. Setting up my first reef tank has been more work than I could have ever imagined, it’s become a part-time job.

I will be relieved when I officially have a tank up and running and can just focus on water quality.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bad idea.

I just have to run some beads through this sump first ;)
0BE9D44C-0D3E-41E7-B7CA-D021179F23C9.jpeg

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tank won’t be done until Wednesday, I decided to pull the trigger on re-doing the plumbing.

I was originally going to stick with the plumbing that came with the tank but it was deficient imo. It didn’t take advantage of the two outflows from the overflow box for a full herbie setup, used tubing for the water flow into the sump, and transitioned from 3/4” to 1” on the return.

The plan is to implement a full herbie set up.

I’m using 3/4” pvc as that’s what fits inside the overflow box bulkhead. There will be a gate valve on the inflow before the sump and a check valve above the return.

While I wait for the red pvc, valves and strainer to come in, I thought I’d go ahead and dry plumb the final design in real time so that it’s simple cut and glue when everything comes in.

The ramblings of “The Final Countown” are shaking the foundation of my town home. I hope the neighbors don’t mind Europe.
5F4CD388-5B02-4F03-986E-146BBDA32EEF.jpeg

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember dry fit pieces don't go all the way in their respected joint so give yourself an extra 1" or so.
Otherwise things can come up short in the end after being glued and the pipes finally slip all the way into the joints.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember dry fit pieces don't go all the way in their respected joint so give yourself an extra 1" or so.
Otherwise things can come up short in the end after being glued and the pipes finally slip all the way into the joints.

I’ll definitely be remeasuring before I actually glue the new pvc.

I think I made a mistake on the pvc sizes however.

The overflow box has two 3/4” bulkheads, the 950gph pump has a 3/4” outlet.

I’m reading everywhere that I need larger pvc size for the return and drain.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want 1" drains.
3/4" for return is fine.
But 1" doesn't hurt.
Sorry to confuse ya.

The bulkhead fitting is only 3/4” though, do I need an adapter to connect the 3/4” fitting to 1” pipe.

I ordered all of the valves for 3/4” and the red pvc at 3/4”. Hopefully I can cancel the orders today.

My thought is two 3/4” drains is a lot of water if I don’t use one as an emergency.

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like that?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back