How not to start a reef tank, my first reef tank build

Which light should I upgrade to after coral qt is done?

• 2x ai prime

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Reefbreeders 24 in. Photon v2

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Stick with current orbit USA marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Viparspectra 165w

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 2x hipargero 30w

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct, but if you are keeping SPS, they will be much more sensitive. I recommend purchasing alot of good quality salt and plan to do water changes for the next 2 months until you have a good stability on the quarantine and main tank. A skimmer is pretty crucial and you might need GFO/carbon reactors. Dealing with water volumes under 100 gallons introduces alot of challenges with corals, and an ATO will be important on both systems as well.

IMO it's better to setup two separate stable tanks if you plan to quarantine corals. If I'm starting a new tank I usually will try to purchase from a trusted place and dip/strip the corals from the base plugs. If you have pests at this point, usually you can remove the corals or undergo treatment on the tank without a ton of inhabitants adversely impacted by medication.

You can’t see tomonts on the coral which is the main culprit behind the long coral quarantine time.

I’m just starting with easy softies and no sps any time soon. I’m reading up on ways to ensure params are spot on, I’m fine with it being a more manual process for now.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been eyeing this aqua xp sumpless ato as a means of a solution to the sump. Has anyone used this/heard feedback? @aqua_code @Kattkrazie

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been eyeing this aqua xp sumpless ato as a means of a solution to the sump. Has anyone used this/heard feedback? @aqua_code @Kattkrazie

I've never heard of it but it looks interesting. Surface skimmer, top-off, and media holder seems to cover a lot of things in one device. I only saw 2 reviews but both were 5 stars.

I would still recommend a sump and overflow box instead but that's just my preference.

Sadly, I'm a little distracted right now. The power has been off for over 2 hrs. and I was not prepared.
o_O

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of it but it looks interesting. Surface skimmer, top-off, and media holder seems to cover a lot of things in one device. I only saw 2 reviews but both were 5 stars.

I would still recommend a sump and overflow box instead but that's just my preference.

Sadly, I'm a little distracted right now. The power has been off for over 2 hrs. and I was not prepared.
o_O

How did things pan out?! The tank ok?

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything is ok with your tank. Make sure to keep airflow running. I've thrown ziplock bags of calcium chloride mixed with water in a tank to keep the temperature up.

I've heard good things about that ATO. If I'm going for a cheap ATO solution I've used this place in the past:

You can also use a breakout box on the apex neptune to run an ATO.

The optical sensors are great though, can't go wrong with the XP Aqua.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything is ok with your tank. Make sure to keep airflow running. I've thrown ziplock bags of calcium chloride mixed with water in a tank to keep the temperature up.

I've heard good things about that ATO. If I'm going for a cheap ATO solution I've used this place in the past:

I think I’m just going to try and make the safest overflow box set up possible, I’m not even sure I can drill into this aqueon tank as it’s tempered glass (I think).

Found some good write-ups on here about overflow safety and ways to prevent most overfill failures.

Many also recommend purchasing lifereef hob overflow boxes, they are made from a contributor of r2r.

You have to do what you have to do.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did things pan out?! The tank ok?

The power was off for 12 hours. I thought I was going to lose my 5 yr. old Foxface, she was on her side. But my husband bought an inverter and I was able to run the return pump and one gyre with his truck battery. The Foxface recovered.

The moral to this story is that everyone needs an inverter. It seems that weather is getting more severe leading to frequent power outages. Thanks to R2R for the info about the inverter. It was literally a life-saver.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power was off for 12 hours. I thought I was going to lose my 5 yr. old Foxface, she was on her side. But my husband bought an inverter and I was able to run the return pump and one gyre with his truck battery. The Foxface recovered.

The moral to this story is that everyone needs an inverter. It seems that weather is getting more severe leading to frequent power outages. Thanks to R2R for the info about the inverter. It was literally a life-saver.

I’m happy you were able to find a solution fast before anymore time passed!

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I were to drill on the back of the tank, instead of on the bottom, could I do that without removing the sand/dry rock?

That's really the only thing keeping me from drilling at this point. I think I'm open to having a bean animal overflow setup.

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to drill on the back of the tank, instead of on the bottom, could I do that without removing the sand/dry rock?

That's really the only thing keeping me from drilling at this point. I think I'm open to having a bean animal overflow setup.
I’m in the same boat as you. We set up our 28 gallon aqueon bowfront which we started with a HOB filter. Now that the tank has cycled and been running for about 3 months we’ve decided that we should have drilled the tank from the beginning and added a sump. I’m going to build an aquarium stand on my next off day and start putting the sump together. I also plan on drilling the tank and using a Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow.

To answer your question: From what I’ve read you shouldn’t drill the tank with water in it. The water adds stress to the tank which increases the chance of breaking it. Also it’s hard to drill horizontal rather than vertical. I plan on taking my rock, CUC, lonely pistol shrimp/tiny zoa frag and putting them in a Rubbermaid container with a heater and powerhead while I drill the tank. The sump will already be dry plumbed and ready to go. I’ll do a 4-6 hour leak test (not much plumbing planned) and set it back up.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat as you. We set up our 28 gallon aqueon bowfront which we started with a HOB filter. Now that the tank has cycled and been running for about 3 months we’ve decided that we should have drilled the tank from the beginning and added a sump. I’m going to build an aquarium stand on my next off day and start putting the sump together. I also plan on drilling the tank and using a Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow.

To answer your question: From what I’ve read you shouldn’t drill the tank with water in it. The water adds stress to the tank which increases the chance of breaking it. Also it’s hard to drill horizontal rather than vertical. I plan on taking my rock, CUC, lonely pistol shrimp/tiny zoa frag and putting them in a Rubbermaid container with a heater and powerhead while I drill the tank. The sump will already be dry plumbed and ready to go. I’ll do a 4-6 hour leak test (not much plumbing planned) and set it back up.

All of the "how to start a reef tank" articles need to cut the clickbait and bold the word 'sump' for emphasis.

I was hoping to drain the tank but keep my rockscape set and drill from the side.

I've started looking at RR tanks around my area as well. There is a 90G RR cube with stand and canopy for only twice the price of drilling/sump/pump.

1566968530384.png

I'm tempted to upgrade my tank before I even get started...

Blasto Pala

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I foresee is several months of me demonstrating to future reefers how not to go about building a tank. A lot of veni, vidi with no vici.

Back of the napkin plan:
-Go full live sand but dry rock to boost the initial cycling, but not too much.
- Setup quarantine tank a week into cycling.
- Decided on Dr. Tim’s for cycling. All paths lead to his product.
- Once levels stabilize, give the fish another week or so in copper (just a wee bit) and medicated solution. Not about giving marine fish freshwater stress. Also not about giving ich in my tank before it begins.

Tragedy is best with a gradual build.
Thanks for the tips

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the "how to start a reef tank" articles need to cut the clickbait and bold the word 'sump' for emphasis.

I was hoping to drain the tank but keep my rockscape set and drill from the side.

I've started looking at RR tanks around my area as well. There is a 90G RR cube with stand and canopy for only twice the price of drilling/sump/pump.

1566968530384.png

I'm tempted to upgrade my tank before I even get started...
Yeah I understand what you’re saying. My girlfriend and I are planning our next tank for after we move. Except this time, we’re saving up and doing a rimless 120 gallon with a large sump.

As far as Aqueon’s website, the only tempered glass is the curve. You can absolutely drill the back.

You can make a jig out of scrap plywood, you don’t need the $25 drill guide. The drill bit is also cheap on amazon. Or if you you decide to do something like we’re doing the Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow kit comes with the plumping for the bean animal drain. They also sell the bits for $10 with the kit.

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also word of caution: There are tons of posts on forums and Facebook pages about Red Sea Reefer tanks failing. I personally have never owned one but was looking at buying one next month before I did some research.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also word of caution: There are tons of posts on forums and Facebook pages about Red Sea Reefer tanks failing. I personally have never owned one but was looking at buying one next month before I did some research.

I’ve seen the same, it does seem recent however.

I’m definitely keeping it in mind while shopping.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question regarding the flow I should be aiming for in my coral qt.

I purchased the marineland maxi-jeft 1200 for the qt and I think it's a tad too much power. How much flow should I be aiming for in a small 10 G coral qt tank?

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people have spoken.

Who am I to ignore their wishes?

I’ll be ordering 2 ai primes for my dt soon.

I will admit, I was heavily leaning towards the photon v2 given it was one single light to cover the tank and the reviews seemed out this world.

The ai prime has the most consistent results however and seem adequate for growing anything I please in the future.

Thanks everyone who voted.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of thought, perpetual cognitive dissonance, and simply not knowing what the heck I’m doing, I’ve decided I won’t be drilling into this tank.

The reasoning is simple, in a few months I’ll most likely be upgrading to a new tank which will be drilled.

This current tank will serve as my new coral quarantine tank in a shelf area that I’m building into my wall and will no longer sit on its stand (meaning no room for a sump).

For now, I’m going to add the highest rated external skimmer I can find. I’m thinking this one will be the way to go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01597SD8Y

Furthermore, I will be converting my aquaclear power filter to a Refugium and potentially adding an external reactor as well.

This will provide me with most everything that I’ll need to get off the ground: skimming surface water, biological filtration, and media/mechanical filtration.

I’m going to add a top of the tank mount for the ai primes which will hide the gear on the back. It’s iust not a big concern to me to have it visible either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an effort to convince myself, and others, I’m capable of maintaining a fully stocked reef tank with lots of life, I added a heavy dose of purple helix coralline algae seed formula to my newly cycled tank.

I also added some cheap led to somewhat help the coralline grow as best it can while my current USA orbits are utilized in the coral quarantine.

The fish quarantine tank is completely cycled which means I’m picking up my first two fish tomorrow. I’m thinking I will purchase one black gladiator ocellaris and a plain black ocellaris.

You can wish me luck but we both know how this will end....

Fish gods, please reward half butt attempts.
F209BACF-925A-4065-8E24-606A158A531E.jpeg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back