How to “remove” snails from glass wall

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of migrating over froma biocube to a 105 Santa brought me (honest honey, it really was Santa that brought it while you was visiting your mom for a month), and I have moved over everything save the snails in the cleanup crew.

I am trying to find the best way of prying them off the wall without hurting them, but all the posts i can find about removing snails, are geared to a more permanent soluction of removal.

These guys have about a .5 sqr inch contact area with the glass, and are holding on for all they are worth.

I have tride vently prying, i have tried paplets, playing loud music, having long meaningful talks with them. Nothing seems to make them want to let go.

I am hoping someone has some suggestions, cause i am trying to get the biocube broken down and hidden before the wife comes back (maybe she won’t notice?)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use ice sometimes with anemones. Perhaps if you put a cube on the outside of the glass they would loosen? Not sure how sensitive they may be to the temperature though, so take it slow.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently transferred tanks. I found that being really fast helps. Some of the larger Trochus in my tank can hold pretty good and I'm scarred I will hurt them when pulling them off. I found that if I touch them at all before trying to pull them off they would grip real hard but if I just did it real fast they wouldn't get a chance to clamp down so hard.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost patience with mine. I tried the ice, talking with them gently, firmly, and sternly and they continued to hold on for all they were worth. Then I drained the tank and suddenly they were off the glass and onto the bottom substrate where they had nothing to cling to except for one stubborn one who was hanging on the glass, so I broke it.
I hope this helps, and Merry Christmas, I hope you enjoyed my snail tale! :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is dangerous but I have used a razor blade. Be sure the blade is right up against the glass .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Script_Kitty

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the good advice.

I tried the ice, but discovered the snails had more paitents than me.

Ended up using a combination of a scaper, amd post it notes with funny saying people use to get people to move their car.

They have all been moved but ran into annu expected complication. One of the snails figured out the new tank has no top, and he is up and over and on his way back to the biocube.

Curious if he will turn around and go back.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to bet he's a nerite. I don't think their GPS and memory are very good. I'd probably manually put him back in the tank. :D

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, I have used CC or similar to remove them easily.

danjump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tride vently prying, i have tried paplets, playing loud music, having long meaningful talks with them. Nothing seems to make them want to let go.

Stumbled across this 6 years later and had to create an account just to reply how much I enjoyed this comment. Helpful & delightful thread - I love the internet!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back