How to buy on R2R and what did I do wrong?

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there might be a difference when a seller is selling a "couple packs or frags" opposed to single (only 1) item(s). When I do a bunch of frags, alot of the times people PM saying they are interested, but also asking questions about the frags or wanting to know if I have this or that. Those I mark down as a maybe. If I am selling a single item (like a single colony) and I get many requests I let the first person who PMed me know that I will hold it for them for 1 hour then it would go to the next person. When more people ask about the item, I also let them know someone is interested and I am giving them an hour to ask all their questions, get photos, etc, then it goes to the next person who will then have 1 hour. I almost never use "pending" unless it is a single item in a special circumstance.

I would say at least 1 in 3 people are interested but are either trying to negotiate a lower price, wonder what else I have, or just changed their mind. It can get frustrating on a seller that is trying to please everyone and not hurt feelings, especially when the seller doesnt need the money, they are just reducing what they have.

My advice would be, if you are interested in an item, PM the seller with all your questions, concerns and comments in a single PM, let the seller know you are interested but concerned about a few things you need confirmations on. Let the seller know that once your questions are confirmed that you do have the money to purchased said item and you will buy the item within the hour. And when you do get back to them do it promptly or at least let them know if you need more time. Do these things and I think you will be alright.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed people post that they sent a pm in the thread, is this recommended/needed when buying on r2r2?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed people post that they sent a pm in the thread, is this recommended/needed when buying on r2r2?
I would recommend it. In any sale thread I put up I always write "PM if interested." It's easier to keep track of everything that way. If I'm trying to buy something I write in the thread, and send a PM.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell a lot of snakes online, and unless I personally know the buyer or the buyer is well know in the industry I will not hold anything for someone without at least a deposit. For every ten people that tell me "I will paypal you the $$ tonight, Checks in the mail, I'll pay you when my paycheck clears..." I may actually get paid from 3-4 of them. It does cause some situations like yours sometimes, but as a seller that is really the only way to do it with as often as the "buyer" is never heard from again.

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend it. In any sale thread I put up I always write "PM if interested." It's easier to keep track of everything that way. If I'm trying to buy something I write in the thread, and send a PM.

Thanks! Will do:)

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell a lot of snakes online, and unless I personally know the buyer or the buyer is well know in the industry I will not hold anything for someone without at least a deposit. For every ten people that tell me "I will paypal you the $$ tonight, Checks in the mail, I'll pay you when my paycheck clears..." I may actually get paid from 3-4 of them. It does cause some situations like yours sometimes, but as a seller that is really the only way to do it with as often as the "buyer" is never heard from again.

So you ask for a deposit up front, that's cool.!

phil121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking along the lines of Wy Renegade. First to paypal me gets 'em? Seriously? So I paypal you the money, and a little while later you tell me someone else did first. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe someone else later offered more, or maybe you know the someone else and would rather sell to them despite my having already paid you. And now I have to deal with getting my money back from you. I will never buy from someone if thats how they list it. If I pm them and they say pay me now or I move on to the next person. Great, I know exactly where I stand. Send it now, or lose out.

If I sound a little harsh, I apologize, been through that before.

In response to the inital question. You just have to be straight as can be. I would like these and I can paypal you in 6 hours. If they are not willing to hold them for you, you just gotta move on. It sucks if you lose out on a good deal, or just missed something rare that you really want, but eventually you will get the oppurtunity again.

Deposit is a great idea. Although still not much help here as you have no access to Paypal.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lenny,

If there's something you ordered that I have I'll let you have it free. If it is a chalice I'm not your man with a few exceptions. SPS are really my thing. I'm offering this for 2 reasons: 1) I've been there before and can sympathize and 2) I hope that someday you'll return the favor to a fellow newbie. Based on your threads, the fact that you're not bitter and flaming the seller, and just a gut feeling, I get the impression you are a good person. All I ask in return is that you pay the shipping and have enough patience to wait until it warms up a bit and I have some time to ship. You can ask rev to vouch for me if you have any concerns; I know him personally and he's practically a neighbor.

OP
OP
L

Lenny

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lenny,

If there's something you ordered that I have I'll let you have it free. If it is a chalice I'm not your man with a few exceptions. SPS are really my thing. I'm offering this for 2 reasons: 1) I've been there before and can sympathize and 2) I hope that someday you'll return the favor to a fellow newbie. Based on your threads, the fact that you're not bitter and flaming the seller, and just a gut feeling, I get the impression you are a good person. All I ask in return is that you pay the shipping and have enough patience to wait until it warms up a bit and I have some time to ship. You can ask rev to vouch for me if you have any concerns; I know him personally and he's practically a neighbor.

That's incredibly kind of you! However, it's all good as and I found some other stuff I wanted. Thanks for the offer! In fact I'm giving you the "Super Best Reefer Guy Award for 2010!" :bigsmile:

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm too nice...
If I'm selling something and someone PMs me they want it, I give them 24 hours to pay from the time I send them my payment info. If I don't hear from them, the next person gets a PM and 24 hours to pay. I don't expect buyers to be tethered to a computer or smart phone to instantly reply to PMs / e-mails. People have lives -- jobs, a family, etc. I certainly wouldn't pass over someone within 6 hours. If 3 people are all contacting about the same item(s) that close together, all signs point to someone making the payment and there won't be any trouble selling (sure there are instances where that is not the case, but that's not the norm IME). With more and more employers limiting phone usage and filtering websites, I've always felt potential buyers are worth giving the benefit of the doubt for at least a day.

Back