How to clean HOB filter? (Without losing the “good” bacteria?)

SharkRacer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is a silly question, but how do O go about cleaning my HOB filter when it’s supposedly where a lot of the “good” bacteria have been growing?

Do I just gently rinse all components? And is it ok if I use tap water for this?

I have a 55g that cycled about 3 months ago and now has 3 fish in it. I have about 30lbs of pukani that was seasoned for a month and am just starting to see algae growth (my Clean Up Crew arrives tomorrow!)

CDBF01DC-A3DE-482D-BEA9-EC79952134A7.jpeg

Oerussc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a true hang on back filter with carbon and filter media? If so, you can clean it out completely in the sink with fresh tap water. In fact, clean it regularly as this is the filter that polishes your water. If it’s a true hang on filter, I would not worry about the biological “good bacteria“ in this device unless it is designed as such. The good bacteria is in the rock, water, and sand.

Can you tell us a bit more about the filter?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In freshwater the good bacteria resides mainly in the filter. But not in saltwater. Your biological media is your rock work, mainly.

So if your tank has been live for 3+ months and the rocks have been in it all this time, there is no need for anything else ad far as biological media and you can use your HOB entirely for mechanical media and carbon if necessary. Change or clean the mechanical frequently (every 5-7 days) to keep your nitrates low.

Johnny Turvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you can just rinse, squeeze, rinse the sponge in the water you are discarding when doing a wc. Rinse until you don't see crud when you squeeze. You will lose some of the bio, but not all of it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back