How to clean RODI push fit tubing.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

So I fitted my skimmer waste to an old 1L dosing pump box with a float switch. Then I fitted a float sensor and a GHL maxi pump.

When triggered it pumps for 30 seconds.

I have soft tubing on the inlet for the maxi pump then hard RODI push fit tubing on the exit which goes for about 8 feet (2 meters) through my plasterboard dry wall and down the drain.

When it’s working, the skimmer empties itself.

But it gets gunky from time to time. It’s never blocked (I think the pumping pressure keeps that risk to a minimum) but how do I clean it?

How would you clean skimmer waste gunk from an RODI water line? I can’t mechanically scrub it, would soapy water do the trick or citric acid?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compressed air with soapy water or water with citric acid soak and repeat followed with clean water

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

So I fitted my skimmer waste to an old 1L dosing pump box with a float switch. Then I fitted a float sensor and a GHL maxi pump.

I have soft tubing on the inlet for the maxi pump then hard RODI push fit tubing on the exit which goes for about 8 feet (2 meters) through my plasterboard dry wall and down the drain.

But it gets gunky from time to time. It’s never blocked (I think the pumping pressure keeps that risk to a minimum) but how do I clean it?

How would you clean skimmer waste gunk from an RODI water line? I can’t mechanically scrub it, would soapy water do the trick or citric acid?
I have a similar setup.

I'd just toss it and replace it - to me it's honestly not worth the effort to do a poor job of cleaning it.
Just use the old tube to pull the new tube through.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest a possibly better approach?

There is likely a certain amount of skimate that you can pass through before the line accumated the gunk and getting clogged.

What if you were filling this container every.. let's say 0.5L of skimate with clean water to flush it off?
It doesn't have to be RODI, but you could take some water from your top off to automate this.

As far as manually cleaning the tube, I agree with @gboardbridge here - it's probably doesn't worth the hassle, it's cheap enough to just replace it.

Klemmetsmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I’d hook it up to a maxijet pump and run vinigar through the line? Or siphon vinegar through the line…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back