How to deal with this aquarium pest - soft feather duster

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing these "soft feather dusters" and/or other long creatures on the base of my coral plugs, they also like to dig in underneath the monti caps. Can someone suggest what could be done about them? I have a wrasse in each system but it does not appear to go after them.

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails. Dips do not kill them, powdered coral foods feed them.

Bumblebee snails are said to eat them, but leave the unsightly spirals. Only true way to get rid of them is to crush them, or glue the spiral shut so they cannot come out to feed and breed.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want them you can brush/pick them off or see if they will come off in a dip (assuming you havent already dipped them)
I have been brushing them off which works remarkably well, but they come back a few weeks later with a vengeance.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails. Dips do not kill them, powdered coral foods feed them.

Bumblebee snails are said to eat them, but leave the unsightly spirals. Only true way to get rid of them is to crush them, or glue the spiral shut so they cannot come out to feed and breed.
I don't think that's what they are - they are soft and don't have a hard shell

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you find out how to get rid of them. I had some on a zoa frag and now they are everywhere. I dipped all income frags in Bayer and that did not eliminate it next time I am going to try Potassium Chloride.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them for about a year in my sump frag tank. I think my wrasse ate any in my DT. They annoyed my zoas, so I had to clean them off frags every now and then... one day I just stopped noticing them. I think they might be one of those 'pests' that just dies out? or maybe some of my hermits took a liking to them.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them for about a year in my sump frag tank. I think my wrasse ate any in my DT. They annoyed my zoas, so I had to clean them off frags every now and then... one day I just stopped noticing them. I think they might be one of those 'pests' that just dies out? or maybe some of my hermits took a liking to them.
Do you recall which wrasse was it for you that took care of them?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back