How to drill acrylic? Should I drill this tank?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking about drilling this 7.5 gallon frag tank. . . But worried I’ll mess it up (or change my mind). . .

just use wood hole saw and go slow???

22D4F4E0-5AA7-49AE-B281-DD60192BC076.jpeg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a hole saw for metal, or even better, one made specifically for plastic. A hole saw bit made for wood will chatter and skip a lot, and may end up cracking insteal of cutting.

Warm the acrylic with a hair drier before making your initial cut, then run the drill at a slow speed clutched to about 8 or 9. (The dial on the front of most cordless drills is a stop clutch to ensure you don't overtorque a bit or a screw, but we're going to use it here to make a smooth cut into a soft material.)

Once you make an initial cut to about 1/8 of an inch, take the heat off the acrylic and drill the rest of the way through. Just like with drilling glass, let the weight of the drill do the work, don't press, don't force, don't lift the bit to let one edge bite faster than the other.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I guess I should’ve asked, I do have a glass/diamond hole saw, should I use that, or are the ones for plastic different?
My overflow came with a diamond hole saw meant for acrylic, there's a kit on sale for Prime Day for 12 bucks too, but there are other types for acrylic. I have an adjustable two-pin cutter, but I'm not sure it's advisable on a finished tank, as it's meant for my drill press.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or... you can go to autozone. Pick up the appropriate size tail pipe adapter, heat the end and stick it through and Bob's your uncle. Doing it this way is good on thinner acrylic, that maybe subject to cracking with a saw.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use one of these, works great and leave a nice finish! :upside-down-face: The one i use is made from brass so its nice and soft.

3933C812-D016-424B-AB9E-0D833F0ED776.jpeg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone for the replies! I ended up getting a wood/metal holesaw from the local hardware store. I was kind of limited and in fact I had to go to two different stores to get the sizes I needed. Anyway I took it very slow and anytime I felt a bit binding I backed off. . . And it worked like a charm! I did drill one of the holes slightly high, and will have to shave off the top of the bulkhead lip, but I’m not too worried about it. I’ll send a picture when I get home. Thanks again everyone!

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone for the replies! I ended up getting a wood/metal holesaw from the local hardware store. I was kind of limited and in fact I had to go to two different stores to get the sizes I needed. Anyway I took it very slow and anytime I felt a bit binding I backed off. . . And it worked like a charm! I did drill one of the holes slightly high, and will have to shave off the top of the bulkhead lip, but I’m not too worried about it. I’ll send a picture when I get home. Thanks again everyone!
33724CF7-6913-42DC-95ED-3B5052E14E4D.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back