How to frag this coral

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this coral is getting rather large for my tank and I am just looking for advice on if I would like to frag it how to go about that? I’ve never done it before, do I just cut one of the arms off, if so is there a length to do it, closer to the base farther from it. Any advice helps thank you.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this coral is getting rather large for my tank and I am just looking for advice on if I would like to frag it how to go about that? I’ve never done it before, do I just cut one of the arms off, if so is there a length to do it, closer to the base farther from it. Any advice helps thank you.
You probably would be best to send a picture of the Coral, so we see what you’re talking about

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7140.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may help

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals are pretty resilient and can take some cutting. I would stay away from directly cutting the base but a finger should heal nicely.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
These don’t like to stick well with super glue. I would suggest cutting it where two branches make a “V” (sharp scissors or razor blade) and then glue it onto a rock or plug and use a small rubber band and wrap it in the node and around the bottom of the plug. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

-Ed

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one can be topped like a tree, and 2 of the 3 lowest branches removed to keep it under control.

If you plant the trimmings, they will make new trees and then you will have a forest in no time at all. They tend to grow like weeds and can overrun a tank without frequent trimmings. See if friends or the LFS will take the cuttings to prevent the take over.
Fall Down Clear The Way GIF by Gyro-Trac
:cool:

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YMWV with cuttings. That leather looks pretty small. Not a lot of demand for small leather frags.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a pair of coral scissors or a scalpel. I'd personally take it out of the tank to frag as they can release toxins but if it's attached you can do an in-tank fragging, though I'd run some carbon afterwards. Don't cut too much, just one of the branches. Get a plastic container and poke holes in it for water flow, add some gravel/rubble, throw it in there and it will attach itself. But make sure you don't just throw it in your sump, you want to give it some light. Also don't glue it, that will probably cause the tissue to die and it will just detach itself

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These don’t like to stick well with super glue. I would suggest cutting it where two branches make a “V” (sharp scissors or razor blade) and then glue it onto a rock or plug and use a small rubber band and wrap it in the node and around the bottom of the plug. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

-Ed
No glue! They don't like that, just let it attach by itself

maxfund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put Kenya tree frags in a shot glass with rubble in the bottom of the glass and they attach. Then you can glue the rubble to one of your rocks.
IMG_6680.jpeg

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still call that a frag.
I do t mean that in a mean way. There is wonder In Watching your corals grow out. I say that because I feel like as soo many rush to frag their frags. 2 or 3 branches does not make a frag a grown out coral. Give it time, let it grow out and establish itself. Then you can cut it. Too many people are fragging frags and then wondering why they suddenly died. It’s because they barely let it recover before they turned a libber frag into a smaller frag.
As this is all my own opinion only I don’t plan on cutting my corals unless someone wants a frag or unless they are encroaching on something they shouldn’t be.
Ok, off my soap box. lol.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I kept leathers I would poke the cutting with a toothpick right thru near where I cut. That can be attached with rubber bands to a frag disc or rubble. After a few weeks pull out the toothpick.
I agree to cut anywhere you like and it will grow.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Ed
You can also super glue a tooth pick to your rock and poke the base through your new frag and watch it attach to the rock.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 145 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back